Steering u joint question

Alexr1905

often if a double joint it may require a stabilizing connection to the frame so not to induce any tendency to flop about.  Do try to keep the joint clear of exhaust, heat dries out the lube...if you get close as often the case based on tight area to work in....use of a shield works wonders   

The more I look at the pics the more I think you'll need a joint at the rack & one at the firewall(looks to be one there anyway) unless the steering column can extend far enough below the engine mount to get a straight shot at the rack uni joint but using the pics supplied I think a double joint or even a third joint somewhere will be needed..........andyd.  

4 hours ago, Andydodge said:

The more I look at the pics the more I think you'll need a joint at the rack & one at the firewall(looks to be one there anyway) unless the steering column can extend far enough below the engine mount to get a straight shot at the rack uni joint but using the pics supplied I think a double joint or even a third joint somewhere will be needed..........andyd.  

Do you think i need a double to get underr the motor mount or do yoh think a single will get me under it, i was thinking something on the lines of the 3rd from the top

QA-STEER-3.jpg

All those pictured apart from the bottom one use single uni joints.....the "double" they refer to is the shaft with a "double" D shaped end and is this what you are referring to?..............there are also "double" Uni joints avaiiable which are different to a normal single uni joint such as those used on XJ6 Jag and similar front ends.................whether you use  splined or D shafts is really immaterial so long as the uni joint is the correct one for the shaft fitting..............if you have a 3rd uni joint in the steering then you will neeed as shown in the lower 2 pics a support bearing otherwise it will "flop" around..........to use a technical term..............lol............andyd  

Andy...look closer, the double is a u-joint set up like a cardan joint...other joints are supplied based on the spline or D  shape of the steering shaft....remember here as in driveshaft, the joints must also be phased to reach and gain full use of the angles without binding.  there is nothing wrong with a third joint or the double...it is just that a support post is needed to keep the shaft stationary and not flop about.

Some wooden dowels can help sort out the shaft location, they are easy to cut, cheap to use and toss if not needed later.  Heck, even PVC plumbing pipe if you have any handy, but I think I'd notch the mount for a straighter shot, if that is an option.

Edited by Sniper
  • Like 1

his inserted mount ear is basically the same size as the mount bracket....appears as though one may not be tweaked without tweaking the other, again, his picture angles does not lend the best views for the couch gallery.  Altering the mount either higher or lower could be a quick easy solution...bit of retro fit..but when doing these mods one often has to make running changes along the way...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Heck, after relooking at the driver's side engine mount, there is plenty of room to redesign the mount to come out horizontal and mount to the frame atop a rubber biscuit of some type clearing up lots of room for the steering shaft.