Windshield glass interchangeability

Noonan
Go to solution Solved by Booger,

Hi guys and gals,

I'm just doing some research as to what years of windshield glass is interchangeable into my 1940 Plymouth. 

Can anyone confirm my research that 40-48 windshield glass will all work in the 1940 ?

I also came across a one piece windshield assembly,  I'm curious to know has anyone seen this one piece glass installed on a Plymouth yet ?

Thank you !

Hi J ! 

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that the glass is flat and can be cut.  

At this point I have a line on an old car with good glass that I might also be purchasing for the power train.  So interchangeability is my mission for the time being 

I am looking in my Hollander Interchange book on glass It all depends on what tyep of car you are looking to take th eold glass out of and put into your car.

If the glass is original to the second car there isa very good chance and I would say kore like 75-90% chance that the glass is starting to delaminate becasue of the age and been sitting out in the sun.

Just trying to remove this old brittle glass is not worth the effort becasue is it going to break if you hit an edge and remember that you now are dealing with 70+ year old glass.  Save the time and effort go get new glass cut to fit your car.  Why take the chance to put in old glass that might delaminate in a couple of years and have to spend the time and effort to replace it with new glass.  If you are getting a coupe for the parts then keep the old glass as patterns but this is all flat glass and any good quality auto glass company can cut the glass for you.  Also Steele rubber has quality rubber gaskets but they are not cheap.

I replaced all the glass in my 39 Desoto 25 years ago.  Well worth the time and effort.

I can copy the page with the glass information but not much intercahnges

Rich Hartung   Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

12 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I am looking in my Hollander Interchange book on glass It all depends on what tyep of car you are looking to take th eold glass out of and put into your car.

If the glass is original to the second car there isa very good chance and I would say kore like 75-90% chance that the glass is starting to delaminate becasue of the age and been sitting out in the sun.

Just trying to remove this old brittle glass is not worth the effort becasue is it going to break if you hit an edge and remember that you now are dealing with 70+ year old glass.  Save the time and effort go get new glass cut to fit your car.  Why take the chance to put in old glass that might delaminate in a couple of years and have to spend the time and effort to replace it with new glass.  If you are getting a coupe for the parts then keep the old glass as patterns but this is all flat glass and any good quality auto glass company can cut the glass for you.  Also Steele rubber has quality rubber gaskets but they are not cheap.

I replaced all the glass in my 39 Desoto 25 years ago.  Well worth the time and effort.

I can copy the page with the glass information but not much intercahnges

Rich Hartung   Desoto1939@aol.com

Thank you for the input Rich !

14 hours ago, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

Andy Berbaum windshield rubber A311 no chrome A312 chrome trim $75

Hi Marks this Andy Berbaum site is laid out really well.

It definitely shows that 40-48 all use same windshield rubber than the  49-50 uses a different part number windshield gasket.

Thank you for the site info