Rear Shock Absorber Shields

chrysler1941
Go to solution Solved by Dodgeb4ya,

do a search on here....this has been discussed before and I know in the past photos have been provided.....dimension...not that I can recall....these were only fitted to cars like mail carriers and other vender/suppliers that made field or rural visits due to the rutted conditions of many roads.  I would be hesitant to leave them in place on a car used on todays highways.

As a curosity - P15-D24 Forum - P15-D24.com and Pilot-house.com (p15-d24.com)

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Here are the shock absorber shields on my Canadian '48 Dodge D25 Club Coupe. I have posted this picture before but it's handy so easy to post. I don't see any problem leaving them on the car. I've owned the car since 1976 and never had a problem.

This car also has the more modern style u-joints unlike my '51 Dodge and '53 Plymouth which have the Detroit joint with the rubber boots. They are factory and not a modification to the car. I have a D25 parts car and I know it has the same u-joints but not sure about the shock absorber shields.

874714638_48u-joint.jpg.d44328a86473a90df81da7060c306eb7.jpg

Edited by RobertKB

I looked in my 39 Desoto parts book and they were lsited for the 39 Desoto then went to my 1936- 42 Dsoto master Parts book and they were listed from 1937-42.

I attached the page with the information.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

image.png.e17d43098a624031a848b0086f006b2b.png

Thanks everybody.

I did search by the name rear shock absorber shields as mentioned in parts book. Maybe that's why I didn't get any hits.

They are also standard on my 41 Chrysler. but no picture in my book.

The mounting part is easy to fabricate but the shield part difficult to see. Length ,width and thickness?

Thet appear to have been a standard fitting on Oz mopars from the mid/late 30's, certainly all ones from this era seem to have them , however they have all been just stamped  or bent steel plate usually about 1/4" thick , not cast iron.........unless you are looking for concours points I wouldn't worry whether they were there...........andyd

8 hours ago, sidevalvepete said:

These shields are cast iron. Done in a mold. I have them on my D9 Dodge.Resized_20190503_153750_8978.jpeg.346a6d0a7a10537469a56125d57a7b89.jpeg

Not a great picture. Can take more pics if you want, with measurements......

Cast iron....never would have guessed that !!. 

Pictures showing the curved are where the shield part flows into the mounting holes. Also measurements of the shielded rectangular part will be much appreciated.

Andydodge ,not concurs but prefer my car as original as possible, with another original behind the wheels ?

Mine are stamped steel.  I have a lot of "stuff" stuffed under my car, so it will take some time to get to it, but will try to get some measurements.  In any case the difficult part will be describing the bends any where near accurately.

3 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

Mine are stamped steel.  I have a lot of "stuff" stuffed under my car, so it will take some time to get to it, but will try to get some measurements.  In any case the difficult part will be describing the bends any where near accurately.

Yes I can imagine. Please take your time, I'm no hurry. Thx

I still think that these shields will be STEEL.......cast iron will be too brittle............but will be happy to be shown I'm wrong..............lol...........andyd 

Definitely not cast iron...

Maybe cast steel or pressed...

20210323_161015_compress7.jpg

20210323_161000_compress40.jpg

• Like 1

Yay Dodgeb4ya what a great picture. You even ran over them to show a perfect template ?

Thanks a lot

Now I only need length of the rectangular part and measurement of the widest part.

I recognize the V shaped bracket, are those transportation strap downs? All four are still on mine.

Edited by chrysler1941

Yes...years ago I took those off a T&C.

I have two of the tie downs off the same car..

Tomorrow evening I could get measurements if others don't get them.

Been really busy helping two friends with car stuff. 

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spelling error

I crawled under my 46 last night, but I would need to raise the car or even remove them to get a decent drawing.  Since DodgeB4ya already has some that are off, I'll let it go, unless that doesn't work out for him.  It would not be too difficult to fabricate something that is functional, but making it actually look like the originals would be quite difficult.  (My car, by the way, was an Oklahoma car its whole life, or at least that's where I got it (close to home in Claremore, OK), and the title shows the original sale date there.  I don't know anything about previous owners, except for the guy I bought it from, and he bought it as a basket case himself, so never drove it.  There were still lots of dirt roads in that area back then, so maybe most cars shipped there had them installed.  I also have a 49 P15 I bought in Nebraska, and I can't remember if it has them.  It is stored at my brother's place, so I can't go out & look.)

3 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

I crawled under my 46 last night, but I would need to raise the car or even remove them to get a decent drawing.  Since DodgeB4ya already has some that are off, I'll let it go, unless that doesn't work out for him.  It would not be too difficult to fabricate something that is functional, but making it actually look like the originals would be quite difficult.  (My car, by the way, was an Oklahoma car its whole life, or at least that's where I got it (close to home in Claremore, OK), and the title shows the original sale date there.  I don't know anything about previous owners, except for the guy I bought it from, and he bought it as a basket case himself, so never drove it.  There were still lots of dirt roads in that area back then, so maybe most cars shipped there had them installed.  I also have a 49 P15 I bought in Nebraska, and I can't remember if it has them.  It is stored at my brother's place, so I can't go out & look.)

Thanks for effort. :) 

We'll see what he'll come up with. I was thinking the same, the curves.

Mine was imported from Arizona in 2005. Build sheet shows Prescott, Arizona. Part list shows them as standard equipment for my car.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:43 AM, chrysler1941 said:

in part........

Andydodge ,not concurs but prefer my car as original as possible, with another original behind the wheels ?

if your car does not have them odds are they were not ever installed and thus if installed now will not be original to your car....only original to the model and unless you off-roading this pig they still are not necessary.  I know it is what you need but something not original to your car BUT what you WANT.  Original as possible to me means as sold...not as it could have been sold....

14 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

if your car does not have them odds are they were not ever installed and thus if installed now will not be original to your car....only original to the model and unless you off-roading this pig they still are not necessary.  I know it is what you need but something not original to your car BUT what you WANT.  Original as possible to me means as sold...not as it could have been sold....

Agree .......but they could have been removed sometime when shocks where changed.  They must have been several times since 1941.

My theory if it's in the part list. then they should be on ?

nothing wrong with what you doing....I view it as overbuilding and not true to original as built....but view it as could have been built...guess I see just way too much over build to the point it is a contest to see who has the most do dads....anyway....I am not judging really, sharing a viewpoint, this is from a guy who does not want anything as stock on the average....if I had to keep it stock I would pile it in with the rest of the stuff to burn come winter but l lean to the modern retro side of the line.

as a PS to this...I do not view my cars as hot rods, nor do I view them as customs as they stay in their basic body shape from new....I do however call my cars personalized.  They are for me by me and no one else needs to like them in any manner.  If they do like what I have done, that is good I guess....if they do not, I still sleep soundly at night.  Lots of room for all in the old car field though each segment have their diehards.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• Solution

The best pics I can do....

20210324_193639_compress93.jpg

20210324_193618_compress69.jpg

20210324_193659_compress1.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

nothing wrong with what you doing....I view it as overbuilding and not true to original as built....but view it as could have been built...guess I see just way too much over build to the point it is a contest to see who has the most do dads....anyway....I am not judging really, sharing a viewpoint, this is from a guy who does not want anything as stock on the average....if I had to keep it stock I would pile it in with the rest of the stuff to burn come winter but l lean to the modern retro side of the line.

as a PS to this...I do not view my cars as hot rods, nor do I view them as customs as they stay in their basic body shape from new....I do however call my cars personalized.  They are for me by me and no one else needs to like them in any manner.  If they do like what I have done, that is good I guess....if they do not, I still sleep soundly at night.  Lots of room for all in the old car field though each segment have their diehards.

Yes there are many segments in our hobby field and room for everybody. 

Hot Rod? What is even considered a Hot Rod today? Such misused word.

Personalized customs? Cool. Obviously you live in country where modifications, improvements are legal. Not here. Vehicle's originality from factory is essential for the 20% taxation. Disc brakes, radial wheels, steering and other "moderns", you'll lose your classification and bleed the 300% tax and must MOT test every second year like newer cars. Crazy? Yes vehicle tax system in Denmark are anti-vehicle.  I could go on .....?

• Sad 1

Chrysler1941..........I understand the registration laws etc but as these may have been an option ?.............do you mean that without them you have to pay more for licencing/registration?............I thought it was hard here in Oz........lol.................Andyd

6 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Yes there are many segments in our hobby field and room for everybody. 

Hot Rod? What is even considered a Hot Rod today? Such misused word.

Personalized customs? Cool. Obviously you live in country where modifications, improvements are legal. Not here. Vehicle's originality from factory is essential for the 20% taxation. Disc brakes, radial wheels, steering and other "moderns", you'll lose your classification and bleed the 300% tax and must MOT test every second year like newer cars. Crazy? Yes vehicle tax system in Denmark are anti-vehicle.  I could go on .....?

I know many countries are tough on vehicle changes in respects to increased HP and body/chassis changes but the taxation rate is a bit off the chain it seems, genuine pure luxury tax.  Still confused as to the shields...there is no way they could say if or if not on the car from new as not all cars were equipped.  One would need the build sheet from Chrysler Historical Society in your country as a guideline to prove what the car was equipped with at time it was shipped, then you have dealer ad ons that were Chrysler approved but not on the build sheet but still considered stock as it was factory offered option.  Sticky wicket for certain.   As a 41 model I do not know if there is even a list of standard and optional features listed one could truly go by.  I know there are none mentioned in my 1941 Plymouth service manual or the manual for my 41 Dodge for that matter.