Backup Camera and Stereo Schematic

grea235
Go to solution Solved by sidevalvepete,

I recently added a double din size Kenwood stereo, an inexpensive backup camera and a universal power antenna to my 1952 Concord.  The stereo does everything except for nav.  My radio plate was buggered up already because someone cut it up for an aftermarket radio.  The car was already converted to 12v when I got it.  On Kenwood stereo's if ground out the Park Switch, you can play DVD's without it being in park...not that I will play DVD's whilst driving but we don't have a 'Park' mode, unless you put a switch on the service brake.

I molded the stereo into the radio plate using a universal bracket.  It had to stick out a little because it hit the wiper motor behind it and I wanted it as high as I could get in the radio plate.  Below the radio and behind the radio grill is the microphone.  I haven't tested the bluetooth\hands free with my phone yet.  I have speakers in the kick panels and in the back deck, all Kenwood.  Sounds pretty good.

This is a Concord, so it has the shorty transmission.  There was no backup switch in it. The schematic in my book didn't have anything about a backup switch, so at first I thought I was going to have to fab something, then I looked in the index and in the the back of my book it had the backup light and switch as an accessory and it showed where the switch went.  I checked out the transmission and it had a plug in place where the backup switch goes.  I got a backup switch off of ebay and it worked.  The transmission was out so it was easy to put it in and test it.

Why stop with a stereo and backup cam, why not add a power antenna.  So I got a universal power antenna and put it the drivers fender which had a plug where the antenna would go.  So the stereo comes on, the antenna goes up.

For the backup mode operation, one terminal on the backup switch goes to key on power, then the other terminal splits into two...one to the stereo to actuate reverse mode, the other provides power to the backup camera.  Video goes straight from the camera to the stereo.  When you put it in reverse, the backup switch closes, the backup cam gets power and the stereo goes into backup mode and gets the video feed.  This stereo will allow you to manually turn on the backup mode while driving so you can see how much smoke you're putting out.

I attached a pdf of the schematic I concocted.

Backup_Camera_Schematic.PDF

backup_cam.jpg.10be899409395fcb2cd823c9b7a517af.jpg

stereo.jpg.41ad5be044a2011969ee10af9e7748cf.jpg

• Like 3

I am installing a custom made console with all kinds of creature goodies....one is also the rear camera displaying on the stereo monitor...as an added however I have this in a vehicle with multiple blind spots....enclosed van without windows....so in order to check my six at any given time even at speed on the interstates without scaring the bejebbers out of the guy behind me with reverse lights coming on....override switch and a couple diodes and camera displays while rolling forward at a flip of the switch.   Another small mod to consider.

• Like 1

As PA brought up, sometimes being able to use the backup camera as a rear view mirror can be real handy.  My work truck has a topper and is full of tool/[arts that makes the OEM rear view mirror useless.  Might now be a bad idea to wire in a manual over ride.