Flathead Oil Filter Gasket

Happy 46R

Looking for some current information regarding the gasket for my oil filter system on my 46 Coupe D25C. It has the original long block flat head 6, 231 cu. inch engine and an external filter housing. Most of what I have read online suggests a NAPA 1080 filter however the gasket doesn't fit my canister. The markings on the lid say Use Kralinator Renewal Cartridge K-5 however none of the cross reference guides that I can find online show a K-5 cartridge. The gasket I need is 4 3/8" overall diameter with a 14/32" wide gasket. The inside diameter of the gasket is 3 18/32" across and the inside diameter of the canister is 3 11/32" wide and the side wall is 1/8" thick.

Does anyone have a source for these wide flat gaskets as I could not locate anything at Rock Auto or Bernbaum?

Also does anyone know if I can just cut a new gasket out of regular gasket material or will whatever pressure is inside the canister blow it apart?

Any response is always appreciated.

Canister.jpg

Gasket.jpg

These things have a tendency to be leakers. Personally they suck.

A sealed can is good for 8k mi.

Or go to a full by- pass set up.

The pressure is low relatively speaking. Im no engineer but 18 /32 is 9/16. Try not to confuse us

• Like 2

I have an AC canister style unit on my 39 Desoto. Yes you are correct these original gaskets are hard to find.  I took some new style cork with the rubber within the cork material and made my own and have been doing this for 30+ years without any issues of leaking at the lid.  Just make you own and have several extra gaskets on hand.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I use a Fram C134PL filter which comes with a rubber gasket.  I've gone against what should be logical and have reused the first rubber gasket I had put in there years ago with every oil change since. It's never leaked.  Not sure if my canister is the same as yours...same engine though.  Might be worth checking into.

You could try Olson's Gaskets.

They can make you one if they do not have it.

I needed valve cover gaskets for my 49 Caddy (with the "early" motor) and I couldn't find them anywhere.

I called Olson's and they made me a set.

Very nice people to deal with, too.

You can check on the gasket that comes with a 1010 or 1071 filter. Personally I switched to the 1010 because I prefer the metal center vs the fiberous one of the 1010

Thank you everyone for the input. At least new avenues to try. I also am using my old gasket for now and will continue to look. If anything surfaces I will let you know. Thanks.

I have three old mopars with the flathead engine. Two of them have always taken the NAPA 1080 (WIX 51080) and the filter and gasket fit perfectly. The third one used to take the filter but the gasket was too big which I think is your issue if I understand correctly. I measured a spare 1080 gasket and it is greater in diameter than the dimensions you have given. In the one housing that was smaller in diameter than the gasket, I had to keep re-using the same gasket over and over when I changed oil. I got concerned that at some point the gasket would fail and I would have a major oil leak. My solution was to replace the oil filter housing with one that was the right size for the gasket to fit in the lid perfectly. Very easy to change especially if you make sure the fittings are in the same location on the housing. These housing are often on ebay or if you have access to a spare engine that might be a solution. Pretty sure someone on the forum would have a correct size housing they would be willing to sell. Just put an ad in the wanted classifieds. I used to have a lot of the correct size housings (for the 1080 cartridge and gasket) but have sold them all on ebay a while ago now.

Edited by RobertKB