Newer coil

sparks

I see where someone stated if removing firewall coil on my 41 dodge to run ign wire to -side of new coil and + side of coil to distributor is this right mine was originally opposite of this and -going to distributor what would it have done and yes its original 6 volt pos ground and it had ign wire going to positive post on coil

If you have a analog voltmeter and a spring door stop. You can test for the polarity of your coil. Doesn't matter what the voltages are. 

91WqNlZCZFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.ae0f32bf2c6461fcf569f6bc6548fd89.jpg10507.jpg.2791a2d29f31b40e6146eadcc64fb06f.jpg

Take the Spring Door Stop apart so you have just the Spring.

Take any ONE of the Spark Plug Wires off.

Place the Spring in the Spark Plug Wire Boot an make sure it makes contact with the Connector.

Place other end of the Spring on the Spark Plug.

Take the Voltmeter and put it on the HIGHEST voltage stetting.

Place the Negative Lead of the voltmeter in between the coils or clipped to the spring. 

Connect the Positive Lead to the engine or head.

Turn the ignition on and try to start the engine. (If it doesn't start that's fine it will work.)

If the needle on the meter goes Positive (the full sweep of the needle) the coil is hooked up correctly. 

If the needle on the meter goes Negative (doesn't move or pegs out on the stop) the coil wires need to be switched, and repeat.

After this is done, make a note for next the coil needs replacing so you know which wire goes to which terminal.

This is a modern version of the old pencil and spark plug wire trick. Hold a spark wire with the connector exposed let it zap the pencil. If the flare fires away from the pencil the coil is right. If the flare is attracted to the spark plug wire the coil is backwards.  

Hope this helps.

Edited by ccudahy
  • Like 2

what do you mean that the headlight is dated? Is there a date stamp on the back of the headlight or is there a stamp on the front glass section? Is this an Autolite bullet nose headlight. The center of the headlight would have a  bullett knob on the center.

Is there any number stampped on the back of the light such as 6006. In 1940 all cars went to the round sealed beam headlight bulbs. Most had a single bulb that had high and low beams and the correct number is a 6006 bulb.

rich hartung

On 3/24/2021 at 8:32 PM, desoto1939 said:

what do you mean that the headlight is dated? Is there a date stamp on the back of the headlight or is there a stamp on the front glass section? Is this an Autolite bullet nose headlight. The center of the headlight would have a  bullett knob on the center.

Is there any number stampped on the back of the light such as 6006. In 1940 all cars went to the round sealed beam headlight bulbs. Most had a single bulb that had high and low beams and the correct number is a 6006 bulb.

rich hartung

My 48 built in early nov of 1948 came to me with 1 headlight that is stamped on the back with a nov 1948 date. It is not however a bullseye light. Those came a little later.