Fuel Pump and Appreciation of this Forum

dcotant

So my truck stalled ( luckily in my driveway ) and I could tell it was a fuel delivery issue. When it got warm enough and I had time enough I did the problem solving to find that my fuel pump was no longer pumping. Well that fuel pump is one of the newest parts on my truck but what the hell, I went looking for a replacement part. Whilst googling for the part a post from this forum popped up in the search so I read it. Found out about these rocker arm pivot pins walking out on newer fuel pumps. I pulled my pump and sure enough, that was the problem, pushed it back in, staked it, and back in business. Though like the guy in the post I read I am not sure I trust the staking and will probably make a clip to hold it in place.

This forum is priceless, and I really appreciate everyone sharing what they learned. Even though I have had my truck for 46 years (and have been the sole mechanic to work on it all those years) , I am still learning. As more repo parts come out with problems or needed workarounds, I suspect we all are still learning. 

Thanks to everyone who contributes!

• Like 6

Yup... common failure on newer replacement pumps. It happened to me once. The pump that I rebuilt with a kit from Antique Auto Parts Cellar has been in service ever since then without issue. The "failed" pump was rebuilt with another kit from them, and is kept for a spare... just in case... Haven't needed it in over 10 years.

• 7 months later...

This has been a bit of a sticking point for me. I staked the pin but didn't get around to making a clip...until it happened again! Then I made a clip thing but it didn't work in the first position I put it, but has been holding since. Anyway, because of my nervousness around this issue AND so I could really engineer a better clip arrangement, I ordered another fuel pump. Well not to contradict greg g but it looks like SOME feedback made it to manufacturer because this is what i got. Looks like they just gooped some epoxy/fake metal/jb weld ? on there now to help to hold the pin in. Doesn't really make me feel better about the reliability I must say.

fuelpump.jpg

Jeez...what hackers!

Flex Seal/Tape probably would be better.?