42 Desoto wiring...

des42

Do you know is there originally some kind of junction block for driving and parking lights in somewhere front of the car? Where it should be? Anyone having 42?

There is a connector terminal block on my 47 Plymouth on the driver's side, up front on the inner fender area....I believe it has 3 connectors and

is held to the car with two bolts.  Both the headlight wires and parking light wires attach to it.  Do you have a repair manual and a parts manual

for your car?     If not, I would suggest purchasing one of each.       The attached picture is an item that goes on a Chevrolet but is similar in

appearance to one on out model  vehicles.   Hope it helps.  The mopar item I have is all metal.

48-816.jpg

• Like 1

There is usually a junction block on the radiator support.  My 46 Plymouth has it in plain sight on the driver's side.  Not familiar with the DeSoto location may be on the inner fender 

Edited by greg g

On my 40 D14 the junction strips are located at the bottom front of the inner engine bay side panels. The headlight harness for R & L headlights should pass through the side panels really close to where these terminal strips screw into the sheet metal. You wiring harness  meets the headlight pigtails at these two points. The original wiring is usually pretty beat at the point where the harness goes across to the right side terminal strip. 

• 1 month later...

I cannot figure out how to get this picture to load right side up. Here is the wiring diagram for the 42.

I looked at one of my 42s and I think the junction block is on the driver's side fender well liner just behind the battery box.

474530314_1942S10wiringv2.jpg.69a17ae12aaf8dfe817127da104b9e66.jpg

Looking through the parts book I found this number 683995 "headlight cable terminal block" . It was used at least from 38-42. I took a look at the wiring diagram and from it looks of it that terminal for the front headlights and the parking lights has three connections, not two as in the 41 pictured above. It's the same on the 41 S8 wiring diagram.

This number, 913297, "Parking light cable socket - cable terminal block" you would only need it you have turn signals and they are wired in parallel.  It looks to have only two terminals and is most like located on the back of the dashboard.

As to where you can find 683995, it didn't how up on EBay so you would have to try the MoPar part supplier guys, Bernbaum, etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 42 DeSoto Fifth Avenue said:

Looking through the parts book I found this number 683995 "headlight cable terminal block" . It was used at least from 38-42. I took a look at the wiring diagram and from it looks of it that terminal for the front headlights and the parking lights has three connections, not two as in the 41 pictured above. It's the same on the 41 S8 wiring diagram.

This number, 913297, "Parking light cable socket - cable terminal block" you would only need it you have turn signals and they are wired in parallel.  It looks to have only two terminals and is most like located on the back of the dashboard.

As to where you can find 683995, it didn't how up on EBay so you would have to try the MoPar part supplier guys, Bernbaum, etc

The pictured terminal is not the actual junction. It's put there to show the difference in design compared to the newer one posted earlier.

I'll grab a photo of mine later today.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:50 PM, Marcel Backs said:

Does anyone know who carries the mopar type terminal block as shown by chrysler41?

Check with Roberts or Dodge central of Michigan. That style was used for the headlights on the 41-47 trucks as they only had high and low beam out at the fender. 

• Like 1