Electric power steering

Nomad50

I am thinking about installing an electric steering assist on a 1947 desoto. Has any one done this? There are several universal

kits available. It looks to be not to complicated andyou don't have to make any suspension modifications. Thanks for any input.

I looked into it and passed when it appears that I'd have to lose the three on the tree.  If that doesn't matter to you, then you might want to look into what it would take to convert to a floor shifter, not an off the shelf solution. 

I actually like the manual steering myself but I was thinking my son, who is fixing to get his permit, might have a problem reefing the wheel around, he doesn't.

It has a floor shift so that shouldn't be a problem. It steers fine until it comes to parallel parking. It seems like the simplest solution without having to cut the front suspension up. The kits I've looked can be adjusted for the amount of assist.

We had one dutch guy here who did these transformations with enclosed electrical Mitsubishi units.

He cut the steering column and fixed the units with substantial brackets.

Column gear shift could be adapted. (~4000 € then)

Because of the reliability Statal technical approvements were given o.k.

I bought a spare column and gear shift linkage (for rebuilding if so) and had the electrics prepared (12 V needed), but then our authorities rated this changement as

not- safety- related (as e.g. disc brake conversions) and the historical car status would be cancelled.

Problem:

no more access- exception for oldies in environmental critical cities

and (much!) higher taxes.

My city is such a limited sektor, so I dropped this plan.

Will have to sell the car a couple of years earlier now-  because of my age!

Greetings from Düsseldorf!

Go

Edited by Go Fleiter
lots of mistakes- sorry

A few years ago, I added power steering to my 47 DeSoto, using a GM power steering gearbox instead of the Mopar unit.  No rack-and-pinion transplant to the suspension.  No loss of the column-mounted shifter.

But I had to  cut the steering column under the hood, and add U-joints, add a horn grounding brush to the steering column under the dashboard, added a pulley on the crank for a power steering pump, and of course, added a power steering pump with a mounting frame for tightening the belt.   A real cobble job, but it works. 

Electric power steering was available at a price, but could not be put under the hood.  That would screw up the column shifting.  Maybe someone makes an electric unit that can live under the hood.  Splice it into the steering column, and done.   

Thanks for the information. There are several electric kits available, one says anywhere on the steering column. I have a floor shift so that is not a problem. I would just like to find somebody that installed one to see how worked out.

44 minutes ago, Nomad50 said:

Thanks for the information. There are several electric kits available, one says anywhere on the steering column. I have a floor shift so that is not a problem. I would just like to find somebody that installed one to see how worked out.

go forth son and blaze a trail that other may follow you in your path.....if this is what you want, there is no reason not to set forth on that journey...

I am planning on this on my 1947 Desoto. Don did a great job of figuring out how to use add a regular power steering box in place of the stock on on his Desoto.  That said, the Desoto Suburban does NOT share the same chasis or steering with the rest of the Desoto line.

I have looked into the EPAS performance unit.  In my case I have a lot of room in the engine bay. I talked with them and although they generally do not recommend placing the unit in the engine bay side, they do have an HD motor that you can get for extra that I think will live in the engine bay. That side of the engine has no manifolds and so I think it would be fine. In addtion, one could build a steel plate that is welded to the frame to hold the unit so that flexing would not be an issue. 

With any of these however, be advised that you will need a BIG AMP alternator. They draw a lot of power.

I like the idea of not putting it under the dash and having to deal with the linkage and the like. The only issue will be the horn wire. But there is a solution for that.

The EPAS performance units seem to be much more heavy duty that the other "kits" I ran across.

James.

Hi, I am going with a unit from a company called epower steering. I have talked to the owner several times and he has been more than helpful. They have a website and facebook page with lots of examples of their installations. The total cost for the kit was $705. I have seen some installations where they modify the column shift linkage to loop over the electric unit. The universal straight kit is what I am using. Keep me informed as to how it's going.

george.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

EPS can be used with the manual transmission. A friend of mine as a garage that specializes in fixing up old cars and I've seen it done a few times... The last one was a 51 Merc with the three on the tree. It does use 12V but with his set up you don't have to beef up the 6V generator. He uses a DC to DC charger to charge a small 12V battery which then powers the EPS. So the generator never sees any peek in charging. He even has a kit for positive ground cars. It is seamless when in use. You can have it switched on automatically or use a manual switch. The battery and charger all fit in the trunk next to the fender so everything looks stock... Unless you peek under the dash where the EPS unit is grafted to the column. 

On 3/19/2021 at 5:07 AM, Nomad50 said:

Hi, I am going with a unit from a company called epower steering. I have talked to the owner several times and he has been more than helpful. They have a website and facebook page with lots of examples of their installations. The total cost for the kit was $705. I have seen some installations where they modify the column shift linkage to loop over the electric unit. The universal straight kit is what I am using. Keep me informed as to how it's going.

george.jpg

Beautiful car model.

Are these Porsche wheels? 

Now I understand why you want power assisted steering. Wide radial tires. 

Mine has original size bias ply and is so easy to steer.

I'll be following this thread for my  technical curiosity.

On 3/15/2021 at 4:48 PM, Nomad50 said:

I am thinking about installing an electric steering assist on a 1947 desoto. Has any one done this? There are several universal

kits available. It looks to be not to complicated andyou don't have to make any suspension modifications. Thanks for any input.

Hi,

I know this place, my Plymouth 39 is here for some stuff but they made electric steering

http://www.fitzbackgarage.com/Electric-Power-Steering

• Thanks 1