interior

sparks

No interior kits are available for these old Mopars. Lebaron Bonney interiors made some kits for 
Plymouths from the 40s but the are no longer around. I am restoring a 40 Dodge and will be purchasing period style material and having a very reputable old school upholstery man do the work. Kits and pre-manufactured upholstery components do not always fit as intended. Since I have not sourced material yet, some other folks in the know on this subject may be able to recommend a good source. Oh yeah, welcome to the site ! M

Ten years ago anyway, the owner of SMS Auto Fabrics (Canby, Oregon) also owned a textile mill in the Carolinas.  At the time SMS was, and might still be, the largest repository of OEM auto interior fabrics anywhere in the world.  They didn't have the correct broadcloth wool for my `49 Plymouth but did have a sample book, the swatch from which was a perfect match to the piece I brought with me to their shop (pulled it from under where the front seats folds forward, so it was effectively still like new).  I left them a deposit and was told it would take about three months.  It ultimately took six but they absolutely nailed it: the weave, the color, the pattern, all spot on!

At $90/yard they didn't give it away, but all in all, I thought it was fair, given that they literally had to create the fabric from start to finish.  Your car probably came with mohair but if they can reproduce the broadcloth wool I suspect they can handle mohair.

If you're looking for originality, I doubt others can match what they can (or at least used to) offer.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Hamilton said:

Ten years ago anyway, the owner of SMS Auto Fabrics (Canby, Oregon) also owned a textile mill in the Carolinas.  At the time SMS was, and might still be, the largest repository of OEM auto interior fabrics anywhere in the world.  They didn't have the correct broadcloth wool for my `49 Plymouth but did have a sample book, the swatch from which was a perfect match to the piece I brought with me to their shop (pulled it from under where the front seats folds forward, so it was effectively still like new).  I left them a deposit and was told it would take about three months.  It ultimately took six but they absolutely nailed it: the weave, the color, the pattern, all spot on!

At $90/yard they didn't give it away, but all in all, I thought it was fair, given that they literally had to create the fabric from start to finish.  Your car probably came with mohair but if they can reproduce the broadcloth wool I suspect they can handle mohair.

If you're looking for originality, I doubt others can match what they can (or at least used to) offer.

So did you visit them in Oregon, or their mill in the Carolinas?  I have a 46, and had sort of resigned myself to use fabric that won't match the original weave/design.  (I figured I would try to find fabric that would be a close match to the typical "plaid" patterns seen in seat covers of that era.  Often a bit gaudy, but it would anyways look fairly "correct".)

Edited by Eneto-55

Carpet may not be as much a problem to locate something close. If going original, remember that there was only carpet in the rear area and foot rest. Rubber mat in the front. Also, P-11's and P-12's had different cloth. Again, depending upon what kind of restoration you are looking for. If you would like photos of the original interiors of my two 41's just Private Message me and I will email them to you. 

9 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

So did you visit them in Oregon, or their mill in the Carolinas?  I have a 46, and had sort of resigned myself to use fabric that won't match the original weave/design.  (I figured I would try to find fabric that would be a close match to the typical "plaid" patterns seen in seat covers of that era.  Often a bit gaudy, but it would anyways look fairly "correct".)

I was in Oregon visiting my folks and hadn't ridden the old Canby Ferry for a long time, so I went to the SMS warehouse.  If they still offer fabric creation, and if you're seeking originality and don't mid spending a little extra top get it, there's no need to settle for "a close match".

I have a 52 Dodge Coronet Club Coupe. It has a typical for the period plaid vinyl seat cover over the back seat. But the cover is starting to fray and the foam has turned to dust. Does anybody know where I might find another seat cover? I don't want to re-upholster the rear seat and like the kitschy, nostalgia, look of the plaid cover. Any sources would be appreciated. Apparently, they have a common size with Ford and Plymouth covers in the same era. TIA.

A guy in Buffalo has been advertising NOS plaid or striped vinyl bench seat covers in the WPC News forever (likely Hemmings, and others, too) and there he is in the Jan/Feb '21 issue:

Ken Weinstein 716-689-6888 (nights) Kmw57@hotmail.com

I've often thought of the set my Dad put on his '54 Windsor, and felt they would be cool today on the right car.