Me and the B-1-C

3-12-21:

Yep, you read it right...the B-1-C!  Still have my B-1-D, but picked up this '48 B-1-C today about 2 1/2 hours away.  The guy I bought it from did all the dirty work: got it running good, restored the interior, new wood bed, new tires, new brakes all the way around with lines and a master cylinder, and left the original paint on the outside.  It's not perfect as there is a little bit of rust, but overall I'm very happy with it. As you can tell there's lots of bumps and bruises, but that's the way I like them. I will drive it to work and be able to work on my other one in peace! ? 

I'm super tired from the trip over there and back, which by the way my 96 f150 with 228,000 mi performed flawlessly.  I didn't have one single problem.  I'll post some pictures for now, but will give you more updates tomorrow. ?

IMG_20210307_165425899_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210307_165519581_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 10

IMG_20210312_181955110~2.jpg

IMG_20210312_181728730_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210312_153705098_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210312_153927194_HDR~2.jpg

In the first picture we had already taken the tie down straps off, so don't be alarmed! It was strapped down perfectly thanks to a friend of mine.

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

Man that is very nice,

what a find.

I wish mine came to me that nice.

00000000_img_0000_1600x1066.JPG.234785a8bf451dcdc91e24dc270943a7.jpeg.f6c30fc3254df02815deb955d170e1bf.jpeg

And trust me this picture is deceiving.  ?

• Like 1

Sounds like you scored a good one. I like how you drive them to work! You can never have too many old Mopars!?

BTW, looks like a previous owner at some point added a grain door to the tailgate. That is so cool. ?

Edited by RobertKB
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Sounds like you scored a good one. I like how you drive them to work! You can never have too many old Mopars!?

BTW, looks like a previous owner at some point added a grain door to the tailgate. That is so cool. ?

I'm not a huge fan of the grain door, but I'm happy that there is a tailgate.  PO did a very nice job on the wood bed (white or red oak), but I don't like the chrome strips.  Not sure if there's a way I can dull them down.  Not all the paint seems to be original as parts of the box look like a paint brush had its way at some point. Certainly the spare tire mount is home-made.  Strangely enough I kinda like that. ?

Edited by Worden18

them heater controls look to be mounted for the passenger's benefit...

Horkey has replacement tailgates... DCM has some tailgates...maybe them shiny strips could be dulled with some vinegar or terlet bowl cleaner, they pop too much with the bed sheet metal paint, kinda like the mouthy know-it-all answering questions that nobody asked ?

EDIT:  maybe pull a strip out and practice on its backside...you can adjust to get the look ya want, then flip it over and treat them all ?

Edited by JBNeal
revised information
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You might try some gray Scotchbrite on them to tone them down, assuming they are stainless.  You can polish them back up if you don't like the look.  I'd try it on the tailgate end of a strip where you have good access for polishing if need be.  That wood looks a bit too bright as well for patina bed sides.  Scotchbrite may work there as well but ask the woodworkers first.

• Thanks 2

3-13-21:

Out screwing around, finding out a bit more about the truck.  Seems my eye isn't so good...plugs were OLD and beyond black.  I put some used ones in after a brass brush cleaning; much better.  With this ball and ball carb it seems to like a partial choke...much like my other truck.  I messed with the idle mixture a bit to no avail.  I'll probably have to check the timing as well for sure.  Otherwise runs and drives good.  A friend of mine welded up the worst of the exhaust leaks.

IMG_20210313_171412916_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

Plate looks way better! ?

I know you are not keen on the tailgate grain door but I really like it and think it adds character to the truck. Hopefully, it will grow on you. 

Keep the updates coming!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I got my 51 it also had the grain door fabbed into the tailgate.  I looked high and low for a tailgate and finally found a good used one in Phoenix.  That was 24 years ago, now I kinda wish I had hung onto the original tailgate and used it instead.  Now I think they look kinda cool and help tell the story of the truck.  

Brad

• Like 2

Mine had a grain door too when I first got it. If you end up swapping out yours you could always donate the old one to Mark for his collection. ?

As for the nice looking bed wood and strips. I agree that it is out of place with the rest of the truck. I would probably scuff it all down and painted it black as it would have been originally. Maybe a flat, or satin black so it doesn’t stand out so much from the rest of the patina. Then use it “like a truck” to give it a well used look. 

• Like 2

Hey everyone, 

Quick question.  Is there a vacuum port on my intake manifold, or somewhere else that I can use for setting the timing?  Damn if I can find it.  On my car it's on top of the intake towards the firewall.  I must be blind ?

3 possible locations: between #5 & #6; below carb facing the firewall; below carb facing inner fender...although I have an older intake that has no tapped vacuum port.  I see no ports from the picture that you posted of that part of the engine compartment ?

• Thanks 1

We're still getting it.  It been off and on all day starting around 7:30 this morning, sometimes heavy and wet, others light and occasionally stopping.  About 3 inches accumulated at this point and it's been windy.  The ground is warm enough to settle it some.  Got my 2 1/2 mile walk in before it got serious.

• Like 1

Question:

This is the driver's side rear wheel.  There's only 1 of those "thingys" that hold hubcaps on. The rest are broken off. Are those riveted on there? And where would I find such a piece so I can replace them and add hubcaps?

IMG_20210321_211717363~2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

3-29-21:

My B-1-D came with a bunch of extra parts (my B-1-C did not).  One of those parts was a single hubcap.  I bought the other 3 on eBay.  They arrived today.  My son and I cleaned them up with steel wool and nothing else.  I know they aren't the correct caps, but I'm going to use them.  I plan on painting the red on the other 3, but to match the one with existing paint: I won't make it too pretty.  I'm excited about getting them on the truck.  Still waiting on the Weber carb.

IMG_20210329_190437704~2.jpg

IMG_20210329_202607890~2.jpg

Edited by Worden18