Need new shocks for my 1948 DeSoto.

MarcDeSoto

I just picked up pn 5752 from my local Napa auto parts store for the front of my 47 . They had a pair in stock . I think I paid around $50 for the pair. And they fit right on. I just called them with the part # I found on The Monroe website. 

4 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I know new shocks are available from several vendors.  Bernbaum has them for $187 plus shipping I think.  Has anyone bought them and they available from NAPA?  

AFAOK,they are available for every auto parts store.  The trick is finding the parts number stamped on 1 front and 1 rear shock because most parts stores are computerized these days,and computers don't have the "old books" that everybody threw away.

Here is a URL for the page you need at Oreilly auto parts Search For Shock Absorbers - 1948 DeSoto S-11 | O'Reilly Auto Parts

If you can't get that to load,check your messages.I will try to send it to you there.

Wow, that surprises me that these shocks could still be available from an auto store chain.  I know Chrysler came out with new Oriflow shocks in 51 making the 1950 and earlier shocks obsolete.  I wonder why O'Reilly's would carry parts that old?  

Mine came from AB and are nitrogen filled direct replacements for a reasonable price. The shocks for my 40 were rebuildable  but are now sitting in my spare parts section. The new style replacements should give the car a very reasonable ride superior to the old oil filled ones. M

• Like 1

I just checked the NAPA website for prices and they want $357 a pair for rear shocks and $252 a pair for front shocks!  So I checked Rock Auto under Dodge.  Their computer said they didn't have shocks for DeSoto, but I think Dodge shocks are the same.  These are prices for the Monroe shocks #5752 front at $16.88 each and #31000 rear at $16.65 each.  So that's about $68 for all four shocks.  I think I'll go with Rock Auto!   They also had some cheaper shocks from a brand I don't recognize.   I wonder why so much cheaper at Rock Auto  than O'Reilly's and NAPA?  

• Like 1

5% off code for rock auto 167089202118895320

From  RA "Using your discount code is easy! Enter your discount code in the 'How Did You Hear About Us?' box without any other numbers or characters for an additional 5% savings. Discounts cannot be applied once an order is marked as shipped."

10 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Wow, that surprises me that these shocks could still be available from an auto store chain.  I know Chrysler came out with new Oriflow shocks in 51 making the 1950 and earlier shocks obsolete.  I wonder why O'Reilly's would carry parts that old?  

Shocks are made to certain lengths and weight-bearing loads,and manufacturers design the cars around items they can readily buy off the market instead of having to design and manufacture them theirselves. LOTS of interchangeability IF you have a parts number from your old shocks. The new number for the same length and load bearing shock may be different,but they will have the interchage numbers.

Think "Fan belts" and it will make more sense. One fan belt will work with many applications.

10 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I think I will skip O'Reilly's for shocks.  They want $249 each!  

You don't have to buy them from O'Reilly's. Just get the parts number and look for interechanges.

9 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I just checked the NAPA website for prices and they want $357 a pair for rear shocks and $252 a pair for front shocks!  So I checked Rock Auto under Dodge.  Their computer said they didn't have shocks for DeSoto, but I think Dodge shocks are the same.  These are prices for the Monroe shocks #5752 front at $16.88 each and #31000 rear at $16.65 each.  So that's about $68 for all four shocks.  I think I'll go with Rock Auto!   They also had some cheaper shocks from a brand I don't recognize.   I wonder why so much cheaper at Rock Auto  than O'Reilly's and NAPA?  

The Dodge shocks may fit the DeSoto and work ok for a car only driving occasionally,but they are not truly a direct replacement because the DeSoto is a heavier car and needs a shock that can handle heavier loads.

Look them up to get the overall lengths compressed and extended,as well as the "eye" diameter to see if they will bolt to your DeSoto. If they will,they will probably be ok for occasional use on the (generally speaking) smoother roads of today compared to those of 1948.

Even if they wear out sooner,so what? At those prices you can afford to replace them every 10 years or so.

Edited by knuckleharley

6 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

The Dodge shocks may fit the DeSoto and work ok for a car only driving occasionally,but they are not truly a direct replacement because the DeSoto is a heavier car and needs a shock that can handle heavier loads.

Look them up to get the overall lengths compressed and extended,as well as the "eye" diameter to see if they will bolt to your DeSoto. If they will,they will probably be ok for occasional use on the (generally speaking) smoother roads of today compared to those of 1948.

I have a 1947 MoPar Streamliner Parts list for Chrysler DeSoto Dodge and Plymouth.  It says the replacement shock absorber for the front axle is Monroe part no. 1119875 and it fits Plymouth, Dodge, and DeSoto.  I'm not sure why it doesn't include the Chrysler six, which is part no. 1121205.  For the rear axle, it says to use Monroe shock 854561, and it fits Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, and Chrysler six.  So if it fits a Dodge, it's right for the DeSoto.  

10 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I have a 1947 MoPar Streamliner Parts list for Chrysler DeSoto Dodge and Plymouth.  It says the replacement shock absorber for the front axle is Monroe part no. 1119875 and it fits Plymouth, Dodge, and DeSoto.  I'm not sure why it doesn't include the Chrysler six, which is part no. 1121205.  For the rear axle, it says to use Monroe shock 854561, and it fits Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, and Chrysler six.  So if it fits a Dodge, it's right for the DeSoto.  

Chrysler Windsor and Desoto are the most comparable in size and weight, the dodge is close.

• Like 1

Since the shocks front and back have eye bushings, they can be changed to the proper ones in poly-urethane. Check out Energy Suspension's website which specializes in poly suspension parts. They offer a very wide variety of shock mount bushing kits. Hope this helps you out and strikes another item off the list! M

PS Poly bushings are far superior to rubber ones by far.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:48 AM, ratbailey said:

Hi James, why did you choose the KG5473 instead of the Monroe 31000? 

Frankly, The Monroe shocks are junk. But, they are about all that one can get. A friend who is the wholesale guy at an auto parts store and a Desoto club member found the the KYB cross reference for me. I have both sets of FACTORY installed shocks for both cars. I confirmed it with MOPAR part numbers on the shocks and the master parts books.  So, I use them to check any new shocks for the max and min length.

The 1947 Desoto Suburban is the heaviest of the Desoto's for 1946 to 1948.  The shocks work ok.

I may at some point have one of the custom shock companies make up a set that I can adjust and rebuild for the 1947 Desoto.

James

• Like 1

11 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

Frankly, The Monroe shocks are junk. But, they are about all that one can get. A friend who is the wholesale guy at an auto parts store and a Desoto club member found the the KYB cross reference for me. I have both sets of FACTORY installed shocks for both cars. I confirmed it with MOPAR part numbers on the shocks and the master parts books.  So, I use them to check any new shocks for the max and min length.

The 1947 Desoto Suburban is the heaviest of the Desoto's for 1946 to 1948.  The shocks work ok.

I may at some point have one of the custom shock companies make up a set that I can adjust and rebuild for the 1947 Desoto.

James

I don’t buy Monroe shocks, Fram filters, or Champion spark plugs......the day of these three entities having  top notch products are long, long gone.

• Like 2