‘53 Plymouth - First Drive of 2021

RobertKB

It was/is an unusual winter for us in southern Alberta, Canada. I’ve driven my ‘48 Dodge club coupe every month over the winter and posted about it on this forum. However, I felt it was time to get the ‘53 Plymouth Belvedere out of its corner of the garage where it was parked for the winter. Today was its first run of 2021. It fired instantly after being primed and ran like I shut it off yesterday, not five months ago. I’ve owned if since 1975. It’s a survivor including original paint. It has 102,029 miles as of being shut off today. Only had rings and a burnt valve replaced about 30,000 miles ago. Of my three old Mopars, this is my favourite. It is just such a sweet car to own and drive. 

C88234FB-32AA-4997-98BB-A88D5C18D7D5.jpeg.910fbb9818b3b965cfebc4100d1e9c82.jpeg

31F3B645-EC9A-44D6-9C85-21D8F7D8E5BB.jpeg.6107166c7d30b9ec031f66866faf10e9.jpeg

9EB54131-50E0-4454-A459-8FB8DC5F018D.jpeg.9ccf9f2821cb2b69ecd671c62cefd164.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 11

Definitely a Canadian car so built in Windsor. It has the 25” engine and the four door Belvedere was only available in Canada. They were the only ‘53 Plymouths with the stainless trim on the front doors. 

Edited by RobertKB

16 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Do tell us more!

Model P24? 228 engine? 3 ⅜ x 4 1/4? Manual 3 on the tree?

Yes to all. Actually a P24-3 which indicates Belvedere. Got the fancy steering wheel, two-tone factory paint, full wheel covers, backup lights, factory carpet throughout, and lots of stainless trim cheaper models didn’t have or only had some of it. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

I enjoy reading & learning from resolved problems that are posted here. 
   But it is a breath of fresh air to have post’s as this , to read of an original car, it’s factory accessories, it’s specifications, that it is being enjoyed & driven in the month of March , in Canada , without a cloud in the sky!! 
    Thank you for posting Robert, 

Two thumbs up ? ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBNeal said:

That's one fine looking buggy...that paint job really pops :cool:

Thanks! The paint, because it’s original, does have gravel rash and a few scratches. However, I’ll never be the one to repaint it and hopefully the next owner will also appreciate its originality. I did replace a badly torn headliner and the original factory front carpet which was badly worn. Front seat needs re-upholstery, hence the seat covers. Rest of the interior is all original. 

Edited by RobertKB

5 hours ago, RobertKB said:

I did replace a badly torn headliner and the original factory front carpet which was badly worn. Front seat needs re-upholstery, hence the seat covers. Rest of the interior is all original. 

Its interesting how they all wear differently from car to car.  It might be the painter that day went outside the formal guidelines, and mixed the paint a little different.  Its lasted decades and held up really well.  Yet the interior which is not exposed to elements, is worn out. 

You are right that each car has its own story. Only parts of the interior are worn out. Headliner had been butchered by a previous owner trying to put in rear speakers. Front carpet was worn out and the driver’s side of the front seat with someone’s butt in it for 100,000+ miles. Rear seat and all door panels are great. Paint on the dash and interior mouldings are near perfect. Exterior paint has stayed good because I wax it regularly. It has always lived inside since I’ve owned it. So, some is use, some abuse, and some maintenance. 

Edited by RobertKB

One last picture taken this afternoon. I had the ‘53 out for a 40+ mile run today. Main reason I’m posting is to show the topography of where I live. The city I live in (Lethbridge, Alberta) and surrounding area is on the prairies, looking their worst at the moment but much better when green. Lots of farming and ranching. Above the car you can see the Rocky Mountains which are about 80 miles from where the car is sitting. It’s a beautiful part of the world. 60 miles south is the US border and Montana. 

D6383CF5-FE1C-4484-A10B-2B230AD948E6.jpeg.63acdc247f33c2658c656ad260193b2c.jpeg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 4