what are the differences between 1940 Plymouth and Dodge Coupes ?

Noonan

Hi there,

I am new to vintage Plymouth and Dodge and have been looking at a car that I've been told is a 1940 Plymouth Coupe.  

The previous owner purchased it as a 1940 Plymouth coupe and has a bill of sale that states this.

Needing help to identify what makes a 1940 Dodge coupe and what makes 1940 Plymouth coupe and the differences between the two.

I was also told the car is an all original 1940 Plymouth Coupe, But ! The dash and steering wheel are clearly from a 1946,47,48 Plymouth special deluxe.  Which I really like.

The grill assembly and hood are from a 1940 dodge business coupe.   I've been told that the Plymouth grill and hood are with the car as well but not installed. 

How can I properly identify what this car began life as ?  and what differentiates the 1940 Plymouth and Dodge coupes ? Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

Thank you

The body should have an identification tag under the left side of the hood.

Also the Serial number on the Right front door post  ( A pillar) will identify what it is but you will need a serial number  list which is a publication put out at various times by Chrysler Corp.

Thank you dpollo

I will check the serial number on the door post this weekend. I will also try and find a I.D. tag on whatever hood is claimed to be the original for the car.

Is a serial number list something that is easy to come by ?

Measure the wheelbase. Dodge is 119.5 Plymouth is 117.  Except for the Dodge Kingsway built for export by putting Dodge trim on a Plymouth car.

Business coupes no rear seat, club coupes with rear seat and 2 and 4 door sedans were all built on the same wheelbases by brand.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, greg g said:

Measure the wheelbase. Dodge is 119.5 Plymouth is 117.  Except for the Dodge Kingsway built for export by putting Dodge trim on a Plymouth car.

Business coupes no rear seat, club coupes with rear seat and 2 and 4 door sedans were all built on the same wheelbases by brand.

Cool thanks greg, I will measure the wheel base as well.

Looking at his profile, I see that he is in Canada. If that is the case, the Canadian Dodge is really a Plymouth with Dodge trim. Wheelbase will be the same. If a Canadian car it will have the longer 25” engine whereas the US Plymouth and Dodge had the shorter 23” engine. Check under the hood as mentioned and get the serial number. Pictures really help as well. 

• Like 2

There is no power train in this car.  Not yet anyway.  From all of the information that I have gathered so far it looks to be accurate as a Plymouth.  Until I can verify the serial numbers I wont know for sure but it has all of the speed lines on the fenders that the plymouth had in 40 as compared to the dodge..  Pictures are on the way

My understanding is that in 1940 the body shells for both 1940 Dodge and Plymouth Coupes are the same..the extra length in the wheelbase is in the front fenders, between the wheelarch and cowl.......at least for USA built cars.........the cheapest 1940 Dodge sold in Canada was based on the Plymouth and used Plymouth wheelbase/frame,fenders, & headlights and Plymouth full length hood, not the short USA Dodge hood, fenders, lights etc..........as for the dash, well I'm pretty sure that the actual metal dashboard will bolt in, so in theory any 1940 to 1948 Mopar dash will fit without major surgery ..........I've attached a pic of the 1940 Oz Dodge sedan I have.......from what I know its basically the same as what Mopar in Canada did in 1940........Plymouth fenders, headlights, bumper, hood with Dodge grille and chrome moldings..........the green Coupe is a LHD car from Arizona that came into Oz 12yrs ago, note the similarities yet differences between it and my brown 4dr sedan which was built originally here in Oz using imported panels but an Oz built body shell...........hope this helps..........BTW the green cars grille was diecast and attached from the front......my cars grille is brass strips, soldered together then chromed and attaches from the rear........lots of little differences were found.......lol.........regards, Andy Douglas  

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

P1000696 (800x600).jpg

P1000700 (800x600).jpg

I agree,  it is now my new money pit ! Very solid shell.   Just a little rot along the floor/panel just aft of the drivers door.  If I can't find these pieces as aftermarket body metal.  they will be easy enough to shape. 

It has all the remaining interior.  Including rear seat. Making this a club coupe. The lady I bought it from confirmed it as a p9.  

The previous owner has the original hood for the car but she has told me that she doesn't have the Plymouth style grill sections to go with it. 

There's a transmission hanging between the frame rails and a drive shaft there's also a bell housing and some goodies in the trunk but no radiator or engine etc. 

The frame on this old Plymouth is incredible.  I couldn't believe it when I started crawling around underneath.  Very well built

Edited by Noonan

Nice find. Do you plan on keeping the power train stock or hot rod it?

Definitely a ‘46-48 Plymouth dash and steering wheel. 

if you post the serial number on the A pillar, I can tell you what the car is.  P9 would be correct for a 1940 Plymouth although the grille looks like a Dodge. 

They sure beat furd and Chevvy in the engineering department! I have a 39 Chev M85 to compare to the 40 D14 and the GM product does not touch Mopar with regards to sturdiness. As a benchmark, I compared the frames. GM box compared to Dodge box and X'ed. Many other advantages to Walter P's artforms are also apparent. M

8 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

Nice find. Do you plan on keeping the power train stock or hot rod it?

Definitely a ‘46-48 Plymouth dash and steering wheel. 

if you post the serial number on the A pillar, I can tell you what the car is.  P9 would be correct for a 1940 Plymouth although the grille looks like a Dodge. 

the serial number is 9368955. 

I would really like to go electric with the motor.  

A flat 6 done up would probably be more economical than a full electrical conversion which will cost you a "left one". I don't think ( or hope) the great white north will outlaw petrol very soon since it is one of the few economic engines we have. Having everything up to the bell housing already makes the 6 worth considering. M

Marcel I agree with what you're saying about using a 6.  I've actually got a couple v8 engines with transmissions layin around and they would be my first choice. 

We just don't have access to the parts and spares in northern canada to run 80 year old powertrain and put miles on.   More often than not when keeping things original parts are ordered from the United States and being in Canada I have to deal with the exchange rate I have to deal with duties and shipping and it's just a real pain.  

For the time being I will keep my eyes open for a complete running and driving dodge/Plymouth that I may be able to pick up for the powertrain and drivetrain. 

Although I'm not sure what years I should be looking at I'm guessing 1940 up to 1950?

Edited by Noonan

The flatty was used until I believe 59 as passenger car motor and an industrial unit ( because of its reliability) until approx 75. I can sympathize with the 40% hit we take with our Canadian Tire funny money but parts for these are very much available at these latitudes due to the sheer number produced. M

As others have said it has a 46-48 Plymouth Dash & steering wheel but other things to note is the 1940 Plymouth fenders, headlight surrounds, hood, bumpers, overiders, taillights   AND the side panel between the hood and front fender is 1940 Plymouth...........note it has just the horizontal chrome spear but not the three small diecast "hash" moldings that the USA sourced Dodges have............this side panel is the same size on 1940 Dodges & Plymouths so will swap between brands............see the pic of my sedan and the green coupe I posted, they both have those 3 diecast pieces......also the rear centre taillight on your car is from a 1941 Plymouth....the 1940 Dodge piece is much smaller, body coloured and a different shape...........having said all that its a good looking car.............lol...........andyd   

1 hour ago, Noonan said:

the serial number is 9368955. 

I would really like to go electric with the motor.  

The serial number identifies your Plymouth as  a Canadian built 1940 P9....

Start - 9,368,516

End   - 9,373,193

Andy thank you for the information. I noticed that the latch mechanism and everything looked a bit different on that trunk.   inside of the trunk I found a chromed trunk handle assembly that looks more like other 1940 plymouths that I'm seeing online it is probably the right one.  

33 minutes ago, Marcel Backs said:

The flatty was used until I believe 59 as passenger car motor and an industrial unit ( because of its reliability) until approx 75. I can sympathize with the 40% hit we take with our Canadian Tire funny money but parts for these are very much available at these latitudes due to the sheer number produced. M

Marcel,

What are some of your go-to sources for mopar parts?  

Noonan..........the centre number plate light on my car is what the original to your car probably looked like........tho' I have had the sheet metal cover and lens holder chromed.........the tailights are the same as mine in size tho' mine have Lynx Eye Blue Dots.........and the two piece rear bumper on mine is obviously not stock........lol............andyd

P1000671.JPG