Project Elise - 50 B2B

I am the proud owner of a "new" 1951 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup....with a few missing pieces like the bed, and the hood, and the front clip. 

I have a line on a 48-50 short bed, and also a 1950 hood. I like the 48-50 front end look (with lots of chrome bars). 

I checked out http://www.jholst.net/interchange/14-body.pdf this site for interchange, and the 48-50 are not interchangeable with 51 (as far as I can decode the book), but if I have to get new front end and bed, would they mate up to my 51 truck?

s-l1600-6.jpg.2b9dac53af6563c5ea49e2b7ba598c27.jpgs-l1600-5.jpg.10b8f5cd1e0af70944e6d9b12437ad30.jpg

Edited by wagoneer
Build Thread
  • Like 2

Right on! Welcome 

I wouldn’t have guess it to be a 51...with the drivers door and the front top radiator cowl that screams 48-50 to me.

have fun with it ?

This may or may not help

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/vin/model.htm

I am gonna call it a column shift...... the bars on the floor look like hood supports.....

column shift was done in 51 though, right? That's when the fluid drive or 3-on-tree was offered instead of the floor stick shift. If there is no floor stick shift, then it has to be 51?

Column shift stated in 1950. That truck has the B1-B2 doors and dash, but with column shift (on the wrong side of the steering column) I would say it's a B2 (1950) model. It should also have the parking brake T-handle pull under the dash, but I can't see it in the pictures. It's quite possible that it was sold and registered in 1951 and that is what the title shows. My B2C was built in December of 1950 and is titled as a 1951. 

So, with that logic, any '48-'50 (1/2 - 1 ton) front panels will fit just fine. 

13 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

So, with that logic

Except when talking about the stylish Mopar line-up.  :D

Mine is a 1949 b1b with a model # that ends with a X, so it was a end of the year 1949 with all the upgrades of 1950, including column shift and E-brake under dash.

I asked for a close up of the frame rail serial number, and I think I might be able to lift the real serial number....

I tried to do a little CSI-dpetca, and  digitally lift the numbers from afar (truck not in my possession yet). I'm reading in the rust leaves here.... with probably as good accuracy. I hope the tag is in one of the bags inside.

Seems the cab was painted and the frame too, but maybe they left off the serial number. 

Can someone give a closeup of your frame serial number (better than the one on the dpetca site). 

s-l1600-11modified.jpg.fdc7dddb00bdf644c66f591cd780c271.jpgs-l1600-11.jpg.56bcfcbc330fbe6f2b662dfef2acb363.jpg

Edited by wagoneer

Drivers door jamb is where the tag would have been attached & here is a photo of a 48-50 dash ... I honestly could not tell by the photos what dash you have.

Original model # would be on the tag, the frame, the engine.  Not really even a serial # ..... many states back then did not even bother to title these trucks, but when they did they used these #'s.  .... But if you trashed your motor and swapped another in, the #'s no longer match.

Others say that it is a 48-50, I would take their word for it. Would be interesting to see what the title says if there is one.

My Uncle sold Grandpa's 46 chevy 2 ton truck. The new owner researched and found it was a 1942 Navy truck originally. The Navy never titled it til 1946 when they sold it.

For body parts go 48-50, for title go by your state dmv.

0308211349a.jpg.6b8e0fcc8ab19407de1dd3d05a8738eb.jpg0308211349.jpg.dc88e3bb0bd4a617071b2cc140d71205.jpg

Yes, the title...the title; a more pertinent question has never been asked. I’m doing my research at the moment on owner history to find said owner who lost the title and presumably did most of the work on the car and losing the front and back in the process.

Im told it ran before... 

it’s my birthday coming up next month— hopefully birthday present has some legal provenance. 

Thanks for the picture @Los_Control Looking at my pictures, the screws/rivets holding the tag are still present, so with a little bit of careful paint removal, I should be able to reveal the truth. What a present!

Edited by wagoneer

Sorry to trip you up there with my photo @B1B KevenBut you are 100% correct with your post.  52 speedo with a 50 E-brake # shifter.

For @wagoneerThe issue is in 1949 and earlier, you had a 3 spd on the floor and a E-brake handle on the floor next to the shifter.  Then there is only one keyed lock on the passenger door.

So when you went to town & parallel parked, you would slide across the seat and exit on passenger side and use the sidewalk. So moving the shifter to the column & E-brake under the dash is considered to be a great improvement and 1950 was the first year for this. Then in 1951 they slightly changed the body style.

The grill was different, body lines along the doors & fenders slightly different, on 1950 the rear fenders are old school & round. 1951 they are the fat fenders that were used up into the 1960's I believe.

Just saying, 49-50 was a change in the interior, but 50-51 there was a change in the body.  Just something to be aware of when searching for parts.

0308211524a.jpg

Edited by Los_Control
  • Like 1

I'm thinking it is  a 1950 based on the interior pictures.

Nobody would go to that extent to rebuild a 1950 interior away from the 1951 interior where the gauges are stacked.

The front bumper guards are interesting, and don't seem to be standard. They show up on some trucks though. 

Based on the interior dash, I'm going to say it's a 1950 B2B.  It makes me happy to be a 1950. 

Interesting that Fargo trucks (as best as I can tell) kept the stick on the floor, but upgraded exterior and interior styling into 1951, at least. 

Chrysler co styling is best from 1941-1949

Personally I like the stick on the floor over the column shift.

------------------

1949 Dodge -> stick on floor, early Pilothouse look exterior and interior (all instruments in single row)

image.png.bf41db16062bdc3801681ee104b11188.png

1950 Dodge -> chrysler three-on-the-tree, early pilot house look exterior and  interior (all instruments in single row)
https://barnfinds.com/survivor-truck-1950-dodge-b-2/

image.png.4cf07eee2a9cb653c1fce81607b2bb17.png

1951  Dodge -> Chrysler three-on-the-tree or fluid drive, late pilot house exterior, late pilot house interior (instruments vertically stacked)

image.thumb.png.c0ce75479bcf41e80768984982d3421c.png

1951 Fargo ->  manual on the floor, late pilot house exterior, late pilot house interior (instruments vertically stacked)

image.png.aeb5c18a81462e2065794e315747345f.png

Edited by wagoneer

@wagoneer This truck appears to be altered... When Dodge/Fargo upgraded to the column shift, in 1950, it was only for the 3 speed transmission. The 4 speed still used the floor shift. If you look at this picture you can see the pull handle for the park brake under the dash and the hole in the trans cover, for the park brake handle, appears to have been cut with a torch. I’m guessing that someone swapped in an older trans at some point, using the brake handle, and needed to make a hole for it. The brake handle under the dash isn’t angled correctly either. It looks like they just moved it over to get out of the way of the floor lever. 

image.png.7b08342f487bb981ee4adda27bbe22cd.png

• Thanks 1

I was able to pull the serial number off the frame with a little rubbing and it's a ....

1950 B2B born on August 30, 1950  according to the back of the speedometer. Coming up to its 71st birthday! 

As far as I can tell, someone spent a lot of time and money restoring this truck and stopped about 2/3 of the way through. The cab has had a lot of body work to it, and the drive train is all there with new shocks, brake lines and hoses all around, and even a new wiring harness!. I hope they went and rebuilt the engine, and redid the brakes.

That person probably ran out of time/money, and sold it to the party that I bought it from, and then it sat...outside for about a year. ?

Some temporary rolling stock, a carb, radiator, radiator, shifting linkage connections and should be able to fire up. 

I want to tackle the rust first -- recommendations -- The body is so open that I can reach *everywhere*, and I'd like to stop the rust and coat it. Recommendations?

Sand, rust converter, primer in that order?

I also need some body panels and a bed....

IMG_6419.JPG

IMG_6421.jpg

Edited by wagoneer

Not trying to be critical here but shouldn't getting the engine running be a priority?  Then fuel delivery, brakes, suspension...after all that is dealt with, then the paint...not fun to make it all look nice then find out that the block is more incontinent than the old sailors home on game night ?

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 9:04 PM, wagoneer said:

I'm thinking it is  a 1950 based on the interior pictures.

Nobody would go to that extent to rebuild a 1950 interior away from the 1951 interior where the gauges are stacked.

The front bumper guards are interesting, and don't seem to be standard. They show up on some trucks though. 

Based on the interior dash, I'm going to say it's a 1950 B2B.  It makes me happy to be a 1950. 

Interesting that Fargo trucks (as best as I can tell) kept the stick on the floor, but upgraded exterior and interior styling into 1951, at least. 

Chrysler co styling is best from 1941-1949

Personally I like the stick on the floor over the column shift.

------------------

1949 Dodge -> stick on floor, early Pilothouse look exterior and interior (all instruments in single row)

image.png.bf41db16062bdc3801681ee104b11188.png

1950 Dodge -> chrysler three-on-the-tree, early pilot house look exterior and  interior (all instruments in single row)
https://barnfinds.com/survivor-truck-1950-dodge-b-2/

image.png.4cf07eee2a9cb653c1fce81607b2bb17.png

1951  Dodge -> Chrysler three-on-the-tree or fluid drive, late pilot house exterior, late pilot house interior (instruments vertically stacked)

image.thumb.png.c0ce75479bcf41e80768984982d3421c.png

1951 Fargo ->  manual on the floor, late pilot house exterior, late pilot house interior (instruments vertically stacked)

image.png.aeb5c18a81462e2065794e315747345f.png

My 51 Fargo was 3 speed column shift, vertical gauges and radio (hole) is horizontal to left of column. I switched it to floor shift and park brake floor lever, dont care for under dash park brake. 

5 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

Not trying to be critical here but shouldn't getting the engine running be a priority?  Then fuel delivery, brakes, suspension...after all that is dealt with, then the paint...not fun to make it all look nice then find out that the block is more incontinent than the old sailors home on game night ?

Exactly what i did, made it run first. Actually made life a whole lot easier to move it around, even with cab off. 
from now on, making project run and move is priority one. 

20 minutes ago, wagoneer said:

I was able to pull the serial number off the frame with a little rubbing and it's a ....

1950 B2B born on August 30, 1950  according to the back of the speedometer. Coming up to its 71st birthday! 

As far as I can tell, someone spent a lot of time and money restoring this truck and stopped about 2/3 of the way through. The cab has had a lot of body work to it, and the drive train is all there with new shocks, brake lines and hoses all around, and even a new wiring harness!. I hope they went and rebuilt the engine, and redid the brakes.

That person probably ran out of time/money, and sold it to the party that I bought it from, and then it sat...outside for about a year. ?

Some temporary rolling stock, a carb, radiator, radiator, shifting linkage connections and should be able to fire up. 

I want to tackle the rust first -- recommendations -- The body is so open that I can reach *everywhere*, and I'd like to stop the rust and coat it. Recommendations?

Sand, rust converter, primer in that order?

I also need some body panels and a bed....

IMG_6419.JPG

IMG_6421.jpg

Just noticed its a 5 window, Nice! 

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

@JBNeal I glossed over a few bits of course....

I'm told it ran before, so I am sourcing radiator and carb for it to turn it over as priority. Stopping the rust in the meantime. 

@Tooljunkie Was it simple to convert to the floor shift? I too don't particularly like three-on-the-tree. I figure there must be a transmission over that must be changed over... is that it? Underneath it's the same mechanisms similar to how the parking brake was converted from bar to dash.

• wagoneer changed the title to Project Elise - 50 B2B