Need a multi-meter recommendation

Rodney_Hamon

Hello. I would like to ask if anyone had a recommendation for an easy to use multi-meter for the general diagnostic needs such as broken wires, bad grounds, checking batteries etc. For instance, I have had a terrible time this last year with batteries. I am wanting to start on the p-23 wiring which is...hobo.   I attached a pix of my dad’s multi meter which stopped working. Alas, that was a classic. I see Amazon has a top 3 pick. Should I go with one of those as they all seem adequate. When you do a search it gets overwhelming. 

FF6E1DD2-3DB1-4656-B02A-AB9E2DBCBD88.jpeg

Fluke are probably among the best out there, however for a home hack mechanic working on an old Mopar, you’d do fine spending a lot less.  I’ve had an Amprobe AM-240 for 15+ years. Can’t complain. Works great. 

Something else to think about is a multi-meter with a clamp type ammeter. Nice for measuring generator or alternator output. I bought a Uni-T model UT210D. Amazon or e-bay, I can’t remeber which. It works well, however I’ve only owned it about a year. Seems like a fairly decent quality built meter. 

F6CCF85A-2306-4933-AD7F-0685F7548A33.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

I also recommend Fluke. They are expensure for average use, but they are accurate and trustworthy. I've had mine for almost 20 years and it has never let me down. I've worn out a few sets of leads, but the meter has been flawless. 

Most important feature is the 'Auto Power Off'. $20 ones will do most home auto electricians needs.

I've got a bunch of meters for different purposes. I do some electronics repair and scratch building, so I have a nice Fluke, and a huge, old VTVOM.  For the garage, I have a Mac tach-dwell-volt-ohm meter. Meters for car repair are cheap and plentiful on ebay, and I won't mind so much if it takes a dive off the fender. I prefer reading a big, analog meter in some situations, where accuracy to three places isn't important. You might take a crack at fixing your old meter, you can learn a lot by digging into one of these simple devices, and if it doesn't work out, nothing lost. 

A lot of electricians use Klein tools.  I bought a Klein meter last summer so haven't used it much but seems like a quality meter.  I second the idea of a temperature probe.  Handy for measuring radiator temperature.  Also, I make sure replacement batteries are easy to get...AA or AAA.  Might make the unit a little more bulky but can get them anywhere.  Had a tiny meter years ago I used for traveling "on the job" ... coin type battery went dead in a remote place in a remote land...was easier to buy another meter than to find that damned battery. Regards

I have a box of these el cheapo harbor Freight meters that I accumulated when they used to give them away:

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html

63759_W3.jpg

But even if you must pay the princely sum of $6.79 for one of these puppies it will still do all the basic diagnostic tasks. I have them scattered all over the place in various vehicles and tool boxes, even give one away when someone needs a meter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

I guess I’m not up on the new meters this is all very interesting.......I still use an old analog Simpson Multi Meter that I “ borrowed” from Uncle Sam’s canoe club.

I used to have to calibrate those things, I hate them.  One of the reasons I am a huge Fluke fan is because the Simpson was a temperamental, easy to break piece of junk.  I never had a Simpson come into my lab not needing a full cal and I never had a Fluke come in needing a cal, they would pass without messing with them. 

I am of an age where I can afford the higher end quality stuff and since my son will inherit my toys I figure I'll buy the best and he'll have a good start on life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ah the Simpson and the Triplett....I have used each....and until ATE took over were still my favorite over the Fluke...maybe it was a 'fluke' but the batch we got in new fell like flies off a bug whacker....though in later years they seems fine units.  I have a Fluke dual trace auto scope meter here.....not sure if I have even used it except to randomly plug it in and test it out.  Ac, Battery pack and 12 volt plug in to your car cigar lighter...

Klien are good tools, I would not turn one down.

I "had" one that came from harbor freight.  On the left ... I like the clamp style and maybe good for Household electrics. To test smaller units like a 12 volt battery for a rechargeable battery powered drill ... You need to buy a extra add on piece for $30 ... I just throw it in the junk box.

What is available to me is from Ace hardware, and is Gardner Bender ... It seems to do everything I need.

May be the most expensive Ace offers, but still not to pricey.

0308211702.jpg

my last digital I bought was specific for automotive with dwell and tachometer features.....yeah still a few not swapped to electronic and probably will never be swapped...my neighbor had this brand and I assisted him with his vehicles using his and found it a nice item to have...so I got one for Christmas....

I just can't bring myself to throw this stuff out,they're still serviceable. The multimeter on the left is an Avometer like one I used while in school, centre is a Triplett, and on the right is a Simpson I used when employed by Dept of National Defence... all from years past. ?

712085765_Multimeters(3).JPG.3d421ba9dc098c48413ed87574480daa.JPG

• Like 2

I've got a made in Korea analog multimeter, no idea what manufacturer, but its a rugged little one that I've had for over 30 years now.  Got it from a former Army radar technician who swore by it (wasn't part of his Army kit, though).  I know that's not a good recommendation, but the story is that I've also got a Craftsman digital one that I've had for about 10 years.  For basic auto electric stuff I always go to the analog one, it tells me what I want to know now.  I still have the occasional issue trying to grasp what the digital one is trying to tell me, when it's giving me more info than I want.  Of course, the analog one would be rendered useless pretty quick with modern vehicles.

I have an analog Simpson that hasn't been used in a long time, a fairly new (less than 15 y.o.) Fluke auto-ranging digital, and a Weston Roadrunner digital that came from I know not where. It has a bunch of pushbuttons along the side to pick various voltages/resistances. Kinda weird but I used it for a long time. I have a Tektronix 2230 dual trace scope, too but haven't had a need for it in quite a while. Almost forgot, I have a Micronta capacitance tester. Those are great for working on old tube stuff. It's amazing how far out of spec a lot of new capacitors are. 

The handiest thing for working on car and motorcycle electrics is a test light. Good for setting static timing, lots of stuff. 

Edited by MackTheFinger

Thank you all for great information. Sorry for the delay in response as I was locked out of my account. The administrator was very helpful in restoring it. Thankful to him. Upon, recommendation I pulled my multi meter apart carefully and it was like a 60’s transistor radio. No fuses. I carefully pushed it all back into the case and put the battery in and the needle moved!  Guess the diodes and resistors needed a talk to.  I like the theory of having a lot of cheap meters laying around. I will also investigate the nicer ones that have been mentioned. Again, thanks everyone. RH

• Like 2

I talked to a friend “in the know” and he said electronic solder corrodes. Maybe my exercising the wires/joints helped conductivity in this 60’s style tester. Who knows. I’m reading up on multi testers.  

Multimeters are classified by they voltage and the location in the electrical system they can be used in. These are known at the CAT 1 through 4. Basically CAT one is electronics and CAT four is outside utility power. It basically corresponds to the amount of current the meter could stand without becoming a fire ball in your hand. I'm an industrial electrician at work and I have some nice fluke stuff that is CAT 3 1000v or CAT 4 600 v rated because I work on mostly 3 phase 480 stuff that could have a lot of fault or surge current, so I need the higher rated stuff. For home automotive I would pick up a cheapy at home depot or napa or wherever as there is no need to pay for the higher rates stuff. I have a 30 dollar Klien from home depot at home and it works just fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1