Removing ‘36 1/2 ton truck bed

I applied POR 15 yesterday early and it was in the 50’s. It was slow to set but I touched it at noon today and it hardened. It will be in the 60’s today. I was a little nervous that the rustoleum rust primer was interfering with curing but it looks ok. I was surprised Napa paint had it. We matched paint from the tailgate so I have spray cans and a qt to use. After talking to the paint guy and another customer waiting I decided on the POR instead of spray on bedliner. They said this was superior. 

6985A2E2-2E92-4BCC-BF98-728573994C0F.jpeg

Rattle can strategically the sides where needed and brush the inside bottom valleys in the bed. Mahogany wood strips fit in the valleys. I will touch up chips that have occurred here/there. One thing that pissed (pun) me off was I had a male orange cat that got mad at me and squirted the windshield right where the wipers were. The urine ate a little of the windshield chrome and paint. Grrr. Need to touch that up as well. 

• Sad 1

I did not know about the humidity effect. Interesting.  No mention of it or temp range on the label. I followed the rustoleum guidelines and figured I could apply at 55 degrees in the wind. It’s been terribly dry and windy here near the Albuquerque area and I was surprised the POR didn’t set up the rest of the day.  I have one more spray of white rustoleum on the freshly applied primer areas and then I can flip the bed back over. I have weather coming over the weekend so I want to protect my investment after tarping. 

24979DE9-6DF8-40C0-9B64-540DF9F07882.jpeg

store any POR15 in the fridge....low humindity.  Also put a layer of plastic wrap on the lid when you close it so it doesn't lock the lid down.  I have some POR15 that is from my build ~10 yeas ago I still dip into for small stuff.  Also don't put it on unless you are well ventilated.

With more rustoleum painted on I flipped the bed over so the POR wouldn’t get direct UV. And I asked paint questions on the other forum but I should have stayed here. I am trying to figure out where I belong. I have a car drive train in a truck. Or maybe I should just start the subject as “bringing the dodge back to life potpourri”.   Additionally, just when I feel like I’m getting going I will have to stop for a time as my wife’s dad died a few months ago and she didn’t have closure to see him due to the virus. Next month we are driving to Wisconsin to see her mom and deal with all that. So... I’m trying to get as much done as I can. I figure a lot of you guys have been through this so again I apologize for asking so many questions.  

14AC7B52-B7A8-4397-B6C6-BE9B5A20FDF8.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rodney_Hamon said:

With more rustoleum painted on I flipped the bed over so the POR wouldn’t get direct UV. And I asked paint questions on the other forum but I should have stayed here. I am trying to figure out where I belong. I have a car drive train in a truck. Or maybe I should just start the subject as “bringing the dodge back to life potpourri”.   Additionally, just when I feel like I’m getting going I will have to stop for a time as my wife’s dad died a few months ago and she didn’t have closure to see him due to the virus. Next month we are driving to Wisconsin to see her mom and deal with all that. So... I’m trying to get as much done as I can. I figure a lot of you guys have been through this so again I apologize for asking so many questions.  

14AC7B52-B7A8-4397-B6C6-BE9B5A20FDF8.jpeg

If you come through the twin cities stop in

with that route, I'm assuming mid to eastern part of southern WI.  I'm over in the southwest corner and I think there's a couple guys around the Madison area also, but the trip is for your wife so please extend my condolences.

I managed to rattle can spray a couple parts of the bed with the new paint...and it doesn’t match...Damn. And it’s anemic in coverage. Back to Napa. LOL. Yes.  My wife grew up in Cedarburg and she went to school in Madison.  I was at a 4th of July parade there 2 years ago and blown away how cool that was. Loved it. I wanted to drive my truck in it and be just in front of the tractors. A lot of tractors!!

Ok. I drove to Napa and got the “right stuff”. The other product is protected in bags as suggested. I’m ready to try again except the weather sucks lately. Fierce winds and cold. Just need that window. So its back to paying attention to the truck in the garage. Chassis cleaning/gas tank relocation/tranny/emergency brake relocation. just discovered brake fluid leaking from the rear drum. Damn. Well, at least the bed is off and makes it easier to investigate.  (and my septic tank leech line expired)  Damn x2

62C8E369-47BF-4976-8738-7343D0E4D901.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally am getting to the gas tank relocation. This kind of job is sooo much easier with the bed off. I can barely slide the original cross member back about 8” in order to drill slightly smaller holes to anchor it into the chassis that narrows towards the front. I want to use the original straps and how they suspend from the cross member. I can figure out a cross brace for the rear after positioning everything. The overdrive caused me to remove it initially. I slipped the emergency brake band on to see if there was room for easy removal. I’ll be damned to figure out how to hook it up. That might be my new subject: how to hook up the emergency brake. BDAE6783-2320-40E9-A0A3-CE6CDE978456.jpeg.9d75b8b372b91e1dad06a2885a2c1772.jpeg

I finally figured out “the spot” for the gas tank. I have complete respect for the Todd Build and others on this forum for their fabrication and relocation skills believe me. I was dedicated in cleaning and relocation of bracket and original cross member. Paint and final installation tomorrow. It moved back 7 3-4 in. Drilling into the chassis from underneath with a pattern was kinda hard on my 66 yr old body. F, I’m sore. I appreciate a full off body removal now to expose the chassis for easier cleaning and modifications. I am a learned man   

3F397F5B-3449-4370-AB7C-A024EFB6FE11.jpeg

• Like 2

I removed the gas tank for final cleanup and paint and bolt-in of the crossmember and hanging bracket. This is a pix of the emergency break band and levers. Perhaps someone can see why I am perplexed how to hook it up with that custom flatbar cross member under it. Is this my May 10 mission?

CEACF646-051E-4659-80EC-3DB2669FC9CD.jpeg

It never stops. The funky battery tray under the seat promoted rust so I spent time scrubbing and sanding through citric acid bath. I fabricated a plate to cover the hole with a spot for the filler neck and cap. I also started on the temp placement of fuel line.   I have a new question about the gas tank. I’m tired and can’t think of the correct word for the tube inside that connects to the outgoing gas fitting. Is it supposed to be all the way the bottom of the tank vertically. It seems right to the bottom and could restrict gas flow coming up the tube?

6F21A2F6-D8F6-4B22-AB83-BFF27AB334BE.jpeg

Newly resleeved rear wheel cylinder started leaking so off the drum it was. I saw no issues as it weeped out the one end. I cleaned it and felt no dirt. The new brake spring seemed weak so maybe all I have to do is move to a farther hole placement in the shoe. I’m still nervous about that draft tube being all the way to the bottom of the gas tank.  

743B9CF4-8461-4567-91B6-373F8302910A.jpeg

I don't think you want that tube ALL the way to the bottom where it could suck up any moisture or crud that might be floating around in there.  Close to the bottom so you don't loose tank capacity but NOT ON the bottom.

3 hours ago, Dave72dt said:

I don't think you want that tube ALL the way to the bottom where it could suck up any moisture or crud that might be floating around in there.  Close to the bottom so you don't loose tank capacity but NOT ON the bottom.

I agree, not right at the bottom due to sediment pick up, 

I do home brew and keep my 5G keg pickups .5" from the

bottom just for that reason. ?

Well, darn. It was loose when the radiator guy finished the restoration. He soldered it solid afterwards to that vertical position that is close to the bottom. If I try to bend it then the outlet fitting could snap lose. How much distance should I have from the bottom. 1/2”  1/4” ?  I get the sediment thing.  I have to drop the tank once more when the bed goes back on. I can’t get to that leading edge bolt with the tank in the way. I’ll try bending that tube then.  

On 3/29/2021 at 10:39 PM, JBNeal said:

bed line is applying the brush-on rubberized bedliner in a can...just my opinion, but if the truck parts cannot be seen when assembled, clean them thoroughly and coat with a sealing primer + paint like Rustoleum if they have surface rust, at a minimum treat with something like Ospho.

Not rubberized at all.....bed liner is a paint product that dries textured and rock hard.

• 1 month later...

Going to Milwaukee area for 3 weeks took the wind out of my sails but I got back to it. I finally figured out an emergency brake set up and found a gasket for the gas tank filler neck. I painted more in the chassis. I tried to correct the rear brakes and I managed to crimp the pick up tube inside the gas tank.  The bed must be installed before the gas tank since I moved the rear tank support back 9 in and you can’t get your hand in there to install a bolt.  I cut new pads for the bed supports from old industrial belting.  I’m going with the gas tank as is and if I have any more hassle with this thing I will get a new one made. 

C0289ED8-9794-4966-9AA9-4AB0918C2DF1.jpeg

Oh, and I fabricated a battery tray for the optima to hang on the firewall. Tight fit but there was no more room under the cab/seat area.  Where do you think a good grounding should go to. Chassis or the block?  I like how P-23’s ground to the head but I always wondered if heat affects the ground end on the cable. 

1B0CA943-AB47-4584-A2E3-0F1C5D848133.jpeg