Oil Filter — Disposable or Not?

ChrisMinelli

Getting the car ready for the season, so I went and got my Wix ready to go and went to unscrew the cap... and found this.  This is the first filter change I’m doing on this car.  Is this one of those disposable models that doesn’t use the replaceable filter element?  

If it’s a disposable unit, I’m positive it hasn’t been changed in decades.  The fella I bought the car from wasn’t big into maintenance.  What possible issues would this cause, and if the bypass system is as useless as I’ve read can I get away with just leaving it alone and changing the oil frequently?

Thanks!

D409C8C1-71DD-4799-B4B7-D683764D11FA.jpeg

Those are kind of pricey and really suitable for cars that are shown as originals.

The canister filters with replaceable elements are available as reproductions now and the elements are still a little expensive but again good for car shows.

Of course the old stand by Frantz filter will work well if you don't care about originality.

There are also spin on by-pass filters as well.

Two 1/8th inch pipe plugs can settle the problem too.

eBay has reproduction Bee Hive Filters if you want style.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

Theres many ways to go with this. And Loren is spot on. The disposables are good for 8500 mi I understand. And the cartridge cans can be leakers. 56 Georges. Im ok for 3 years

Change it. Write the mileage on it

Here is the dilemma,  If you figure to purchase the old style cannister with the removable lid they run around $150 for new, plus a filter $15-20, plus the new piping to get to the filter $10. plus figure in shipping another $20 so you have around $200.  Now figure if you can get a metal throwaway  PB1/2 filter for 60-70 dollars and they are good for 8 thousand  miles which would mean around 2-4 years of running the car with this filter. So lets average at every three years.  So in the three years you change the canister filter out so there is another $60 dollar  for a total of around $260..  So if you purchased two of the oil can styles at max $150  and you change it every 3 years you basically are ahead of the cost game  so you get 6 years for $150 versus $220-260 for the same if you switched to the old filter that goes into the metal canister.

These are not exact pricing but just used to show that the old PB 1/2 might not be that costly after all.

So what are everyone thoughts on this thinking.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Check out used? Plus filters new.  Prices seem reasonable. JMO.

https://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/online-parts-catalog

Page 1 online catalog under engine.

DJ