Plain Jane

allbizz49

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, allbizz49 said:

Soooo, took Jane out for her first drive in who knows how long. Gave her a proper bath too. Still some tinkering to do but getting close!! 

Screenshot_20210416-205911_Gallery.jpg

Primo. Ratty but not "Rat rod" Im expecting to see Broderick Crawford from HWY Patrol pour out of that thing

Now that I can drive in and out of my garage, I decided to take a break from the mechanical stuff and do a little cleaning. Interior was pretty nasty. Dirt, sand, seat and seat cover debris. I gave it a good sweep and vacuum and polished the dash. Probably going to throw a seat cover on the front seat and run it for now. It really needs the interior done though. Couple pictures. 

Screenshot_20210417-194054_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210417-194019_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

I was up at 5 this morning and flipped an axle and c nothed my friends 65 Jimmy. Got home around 4 and couldn't help but to tinker on the Plymouth and take a few pictures.  Getting acquainted with my daily and just sitting by herself being awesome.

Screenshot_20210418-200826_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210418-200756_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

Does your car have a factory rear seat?

2 minutes ago, allbizz49 said:

Yes sir, it has a back seat from the factory.

Thanks!

I was wondering if it was a Business Coupe.

Knuckle, having seen a "listed" business coupe of this era...there is still provisions for the seat if you wish to pop one in place there was not a distinct opening for pass through of the trunk to the passenger compartment....so either there is no true business coupe like we used to or it is just a seat delete.....I cannot recall but I think the 1/4 panel may have been full to the floor as the only real discerning difference and being refinished by the owner....was this an added....would be nice to know the full story as this one left many questions.  

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Knuckle, having seen a "listed" business coupe of this era...there is still provisions for the seat if you wish to pop one in place there was not a distinct opening for pass through of the trunk to the passenger compartment....so either there is no true business coupe like we used to or it is just a seat delete.....I cannot recall but I think the 1/4 panel may have been full to the floor as the only real discerning difference and being refinished by the owner....was this an added....would be nice to know the full story as this one left many questions.  

I agree. That's why I was asking. I have no idea when the last "true" biz coupes were made.

By Mopar or anyone else.

My 42 Dodge biz coupe is in MY mind,pretty freaking upscale for a base model.

I sorta vaugely remember seeing a genuine biz coupe (can't remember the manufacturer) from the early 50's that didn't even have window cranks, You slid the windows up and down with a strap,and latched them in place when up. It even had treated carboard for door panels.

Even as a kid it struck me as being so cheap no one would want to buy it,but was told they were mostly for fleet sales for traveling salesmen.

2 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

The '53 Plymouth business coupe had a lift-out rear seat and you could mount the spare tire on the bulkhead under the rear package shelf.  Might have been the same for '54 as well.

Not saying it didnt. But i wanna see

On 4/17/2021 at 9:58 PM, michaelmarks697@yahoo.com said:

Primo. Ratty but not "Rat rod" Im expecting to see Broderick Crawford from HWY Patrol pour out of that thing

I was thinking Joe Friday.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, allbizz49 said:

Not too much to report.  Little paint polishing, just an update. Running like a swiss watch, daily driving soon. 

Screenshot_20210502-220212_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210502-220155_Gallery.jpg

YIKES! Ya really got that thing shining!

• 4 weeks later...

New Coopers this morning and I installed saddle blanket seat covers for now. Trying to make it to the DMV today to finish my transfer and registration. They need to do a vin verification. Hopefully I'll be taking my girlfriend for a half and half at Fosters Freeze tonight with my new girlfriend Jane?

Screenshot_20210528-123810_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210528-123426_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5

Major discovery today. Didn't make it to the dmv so I decided to finally get on the interior and clean it up and install the new seat cover. As I was removing the old cover on the rear seat, I noticed the original material was a different color and material. As I got more into it, the seat bottom just slid forward. As I pulled it out, the back portion just pulled away. Someone put that rear seat in, there are no provisions for bolting a rear seat down. Jane is a business coupe! I never really messed with the interior, been focusing on mechanicals mostly. It has the original divider and covers where the rear wheelwells go into the rear compartment. I also found a neat old garbage bag that will make a cool wall hanger. 

Screenshot_20210528-180854_Gallery.jpg

Edited by allbizz49
  • Like 2