Is my battery hooked up backwards?

bartenderfloyd

As I was reinstalling the carb today I decided to put the battery on a charge since I haven't driven her in a few weeks and she's been sitting outside in freezing weather. I thought these cars were positive ground but when I looked at the battery I see the negative hooked directly to the block and positive to the solenoid. The car runs perfectly fine from my experience. The service manual shows it should be hooked up the other way around with the negative going to the solenoid. Should I switch it around or leave well enough alone. What could go wrong?

20210306_163910.jpg

20210306_163916.jpg

The first thing to check is your ammeter; is it moving the correct direction, ie discharging at idle and charging at higher RPM?  If it is working correctly, then someone knew enough to switch the leads on the gauge to correct it.  Then you should check the leads on the coil, as they should be reversed as well.  The starter doesn't care which way the battery is, as the starter uses windings instead of a permanent magnet, so it turns the same direction regardless.  The stock radio will work fine, unless it has had the vibrator upgraded with a solid state one, since the solid state ones are polarity sensitive.  Heater motors can have the leads swapped to correct rotation.

Marty

for the very low rpm's these engine operate the polarity of the coil is insignificant and the only difference one will see is the changing in opposite contact point of the metal transfer during normal wear...now if you were racing and operating way northward in the upper limits...another discussion entirely

as for the heater motor, unless someone has changed it to a permanent magnet...its rotation is also unchanged..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

14 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

as for the heater motor, unless someone has changed it to a permanent magnet...its rotation is also unchanged..

Same for the wiper motor, if you have an electrical one.