Start up of the 49 Plymouth after a few years.

Gnome

So the kid was buggin me to try and start the Plymouth this weekend, and i was like "Why not?" So it runs a little rough because of the bad gas but it smoothed out after a while and yes there is a crack in the exhaust manifold at #6 cylinder but it was fun to hear it puttering along. Mostly what you see is Langdon's stove bolt carb and an HEI distributor set up on it. Is there a way to make it play on the page or ya'll seeing it on the page without clicking the link?
 https://youtu.be/TjAAAGXmos0

Edited by Gnome

That could be a great project for you and your kid. If he/she is showing interest in getting the old car running and driving, it may be time to build some memories. 

These are easy to work on and parts are readily available. You should be able to find a used exhaust manifold. Gasket kit not an issue. Set the valves while you are in there and clean out the carb. Install new carb gaskets. Maybe some ignition parts and she’d likely run smooth again. Next thing you know “the kid” is driving it to school. Filling the car up with buddies, heading to McDonald’s for lunch. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

She's telling you "drive me more often".  I love driving these old cars, they require you to be firmly committed to the process and engage you in it.

Yeah,you actually get to drive the damn things,not just point them where you want to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

Yeah,you actually get to drive the damn things,not just point them where you want to go.

My only issue is that when I am with my girlfriend it's hard to hold her hand when I have to shift it.  But we make do and I do not want an automajic transmission.  I can do everything else with one hand and both feet, tried shifting with my left hand as well but that's awkward.  I can do it, but it's unnatural I tell you.  I don't know how the Brits do that, lol.

41 minutes ago, Sniper said:

tried shifting with my left hand as well but that's awkward.  I can do it, but it's unnatural I tell you.  I don't know how the Brits do that, lol.

Funny how we get so used to things. Got a couple of farm trucks and obviously both right hand drive manual transmissions. That left hand just glides through gear changes like it was born to it. Even the tractors with the stick in the middle get the left hand shift. And one story says that it was all because Henry decided to make his Ts LHD after earlier toying with RHD.

That car sounds like it wants to come back to life.?

Edited by sidevalvepete