48-50 1 Ton Wheel Liners

Got some questions on the 1 Ton wheels.

In going through parts it seems I only have three of the four rubber wheel liners needed for tube tires.

1. Is there a good source for these? (I need two more, one for the fourth wheel and a spare)

2. Are these wheels designed or 'can they be' used with 'tubeless' tires? (suggestions)

3. Do people still do these kind of wheels with the split rings, and who? (local shops do not, have not checked in the 'big city' yet, semi truck tire dealers?)

4. Good tire options for a resto look?

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance on old tires.

Tire shop should be able to get them

No, they must have tubes

You may have to hunt around to find somebody willing although some members do their own.  Most of the bigger trucks on the road today are running tubeless tires and have for quite a while so even the bigger truck shops may turn you down.

Depending on what look and usage you're going for,  all highway, straight tread on all four, backroads, straight on front and a mild mud and snow on rear.  Radials if possible and must use radial tubes,flaps w/radial tires.

• Like 2

I'm in the same situation as you. Looking for recommendations on tires. I plan to keep the heavy drive lug type tires on the rear and more of a straight tread on the front, mostly because I like the way it looks. I plan to do my tires myself. Call around to truck or equipment shops if you want to find someone to tackle your split rims. 

Can’t speak for the mid west shops but Bill, Less Schwab had flaps and tubes when I replaced my tires (2018). I did end up going with a 215/85/16 radials cause it makes me happy but, they had bias available.

Edited by Brent B3B
Messed up

Thanks for the replies, so flaps that's what they're technically called.

There's a Les Schwab down in the Springs I'll check with them,

yep thinking of going big lugs in the back straight tread in the front.

May just try doing them myself, thanks JB as usual you've sent lots of information,

too much to glean through tonight. I'll do some reading in the morning.

13 hours ago, JBNeal said:

Some good information, especially on the safety aspect.

Does look pretty straight forward and I like the Dyna Beads,

for perpetual tire balancing - never heard of them.

14 hours ago, Dave72dt said:

No, they must have tubes

I guess one look at the valve stem hole would have answered that question ?

I only became aware of dyna beads 3 or 4 years ago.  We didn't have them 50 years ago when I was doing these rims.  We only balanced the front wheels when the customer had a vibration and spinning the wheel up on the vehicle, adding weights designed to drive onto the rim, same as passenger car rims.  Super singles were the worst since they had so much mass to spin up.  Most of the rims back then were not Budd style centers either so attention had to be paid on how rims were installed and tightened down.  I didn't know dyna beads could be used in tube tires until I watched that one demo.  I'll have to read the package to see if it's recommended now.