Were you a pump jockey?

Booger

While in high school in the late '70's I worked at a local gas station/garage called "Poor Boys" in Presidio, TX.  For the life of me, now I can't remember if it was affiliated with any major corporation, but I don't think it was.  Presidio was one of those places where folks didn't quite trust corporate institutions.  The only franchises in town were an Enco, a Texaco, and a Radio Shack.  I helped with light mechanic work when needed, just basic maintenance things, they had a couple of "mechanics" on hand for that stuff, but my job was being the gas-monkey to free up the mechanics to do their thing.  We weren't required to do full service, just fill 'em up, but there were a lot of people that appreciated the full service, and I enjoyed doing it anyway.  Kinda didn't have to worry about attracting a customer base, there were only three gas stations in town back then.  Poor Boys catered to a very remote rural community, where the nearest new car dealership was 250 miles away, same distance we had to order parts from to do repairs.  We repaired a lot of farm and ranch vehicles that got pretty beat up.  Presidio used to have a sign going into town claiming it was "The Sunspot of the Southwest", we were always in competition with Death Valley for the hottest temperatures during the summer, so yeah, it was kind of miserable working with petroleum products, outside.  The cars and trucks could be too hot to touch, sometimes.  One of my high school classmates was the son of the owner, he drove the semi for the shop, I enjoyed making the runs up to Midland or Odessa to stock up on petroleum products for the shop once a month.  Fond memories, but I figured out quick that wasn't what I wanted to do with my life.   

I pumped gas at the local DX station and later the Phillips 66 full service of course, and did fluid and filter changes when time permitted seeing I was 16-18 years old and main job was to keep the line moving. Late at nite after the station closed I learned how to rebuild engines, carbs, gennies, alts and starters. Some of the best days of my life were spent working for Karl “ Fussy” Filmer and his son Dave. They owned both stations.

19 hours ago, 50 coupe said:

Yup!. Full service stations, high school through college, 1977-1984 in Florida. Also, did light mechanical work. Got paid commissions too. Drove a big block SuperBee so knew all the local gear heads also. Station owners were some real characters back then. I still have some great stories to tell.

Station Mgr would come out and greet all the prefered regular customers. and usually with cig in mouth. Then set it on top of pump to fill car.

We got commisions as well! Sell those Michelins

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I can hear Fussy right now...."alright Elder you were given two eyes and two ears as both are twice as important than talking, unless you are eating, keep that pie hole shut...!"   ?

Actually Karl was one of the kindest, gentlest people I ever met ......if I messed up he would give me that disappointed look and quietly say do we have to discuss this? I would much rather be yelled at...... 

I too was a grease monkey, pumped gas, changed transmissions and tires, and rebuilt VW’s, during college.

When I moved to California I worked at a Shell station for several weeks, until I found an engineering job.

I remember putting a chip in some guys brand new Corvette convertible, and that was like the worst day of 1975. OMG! I don’t think I was ever that embarrassed before or since.

I went back to the gas station and hired the owner to work on my truck, some months later. I felt he was a much nicer guy when I was paying him, than when he was paying me. ;)

I worked at this one 6 or 7 years after this pic was taken. Fixed flats, did tune-ups, rebuilt carburetors, starters and generators, swapped engines. Pretty much everything. The cash register and what I guess you'd call the office was right behind the door just to Crulus's left. The part of the building on the far right was for tires, parts, etc, and a place for the old guys to sit around and drink free coffee. I still remember some of the obscene jokes they told.. Those WW1 era guys had filthy minds..? Ah, the good old days...

Gas Station 2 (2).jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did full service at the local Shell station for about a whole month in 1971. I think the owner was bipolar; great guy one minute, throwing wrenches and threatening bodily harm the next. He fired me because I had the audacity to take time off to attend my grandfathers' funeral during the busy Memorial Day weekend. Since he wasn't the only game in town, my folks and several of their friends started going to the Standard station. When he asked my Dad why he quit coming to the Shell station, Dad asked what he expected when he fired me because of my grandfathers' funeral. I was with Dad at the time and the old boss asked if I wanted to come back. Told him "Hell, no. I got a job with less drama and more money."

It was baling hay and shoveling cow s**t, but I wasn't telling him that. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

After High School while going to community college I worked at the "Gas for Less" station/truck stop sorta on US 41 in North Chicago, Il. One guy a shift, late nights open 6 AM till 11 PM 7 days a week. You pumped auto gas, truck diesel, and in your spare time you ran the trucker scale and sold hot dogs to the populace. Quit once, later asked to come back and when the manager who asked me to come back quit, I was fired shortly afterwards  Then later worked at Bud Wade's Texaco in Waukegan, Il.  Worked there for about a year and got fired.  In my defense he fired everyone who ever worked for him including my best friend at the time who was dating Bud's daughter. We all managed to "Disappoint him" at some point.  That was the end of my gas jockey career.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

After High School while going to community college I worked at the "Gas for Less" station/truck stop sorta on US 41 in North Chicago, Il. One guy a shift, late nights open 6 AM till 11 PM 7 days a week. You pumped auto gas, truck diesel, and in your spare time you ran the trucker scale and sold hot dogs to the populace. Quit once, later asked to come back and when the manager who asked me to come back quit, I was fired shortly afterwards  Then later worked at Bud Wade's Texaco in Waukegan, Il.  Worked there for about a year and got fired.  In my defense he fired everyone who ever worked for him including my best friend at the time who was dating Bud's daughter. We all managed to "Disappoint him" at some point.  That was the end of my gas jockey career.

Was that the place on 41 and 173? Near Treasure Island?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cheesy said:

Was that the place on 41 and 173? Near Treasure Island?

No, this was just south of highway 137 in the city of North Chicago.  Back then in the middle of nowhere, now area is fairly built up.  Now the location of the Full Moon restaurant. 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

No, this was just south of highway 137 in the city of North Chicago.  Back then in the middle of nowhere, now area is fairly built up.  Now the location of the Full Moon restaurant. 

You did say North Chicago. The one I mentioned was between Antioch and Zion. I grew up across the state line in Trevor. My wife and I lived in Chicago the first few years we were married and 41 was our route to weekend sanity, free beer, and fishing. I also wasn't going to pay those ridiculous thirty cent tolls on I-94. May have even gassed up the Ambassador or the Comet at your station in the mid seventies.

• Like 1

Yes that was the place. I was long gone by the mid 70’s though. I am not sure where the Treasure Island you refer to was. The grocery store chain is gone, bought out several years ago. Gas for Less was about ten miles south of 41 and 173. I used to know a few folks from Trevor but that was in the late 60’s/early 70’s era.

• Like 1

IIRC, the place I'm thinking of was a gas station, truck stop, strip joint, restaurant, and junkyard. Treasure Island was kinda sorta a general store type place just south of the strip joint. The owners were so friendly that they'd creep you out.

I lived in Trevor from 59 to 74. Mom worked at the post office. The town itself hasn't changed much but the area around it sure has grown.

3 hours ago, cheesy said:

IIRC, the place I'm thinking of was a gas station, truck stop, strip joint, restaurant, and junkyard. Treasure Island was kinda sorta a general store type place just south of the strip joint. The owners were so friendly that they'd creep you out.

I lived in Trevor from 59 to 74. Mom worked at the post office. The town itself hasn't changed much but the area around it sure has grown.

Did you knowa guy named Mike Dufern?  He lived off of 45 where the road bears right about three or four miles north of the Illinois line.  Can’t remember the name  but there is a large barn with a smilie face at the intersection with 45. Been  there forever.The area you are talking about must be on old 41?  At Russell Road?  That is now a T A truckstop on one side and another type of truckstop on the other.  There are a few business still there but although they are close to me I don’ recall what they are now.  

13 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Cheetah Club was at 137 and 41 back then.  Never opened after the Greek owner Chris was shot and killed mob style. Car pulled up in front with a shotgun out the window if I remember correctly. Also was a small place called the Sahara Inn just south of there that is gone as well. There were plenty of strip clubs and bars open back then 23hrs 7 days a week, they just needed to shut down 1 hr for cleaning. Good Times. ?? 

Hello Neighbor. I am in Zion. Gas for Less was across the street from Sahara Inn.  Used to see the third shift from the Goodyear hose plant pull in at 7 AM on Saturday mornings.  I remember the Cheetah Club as well now that you remind me.   Not to be anymore contradictory than necessary but wasn’t the Cheetah Club part of the group of bars etc on Old Skokie Rd in Park City?  All gone as they were then although some of the buildings still stand.

5 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Not to be anymore contradictory than necessary but wasn’t the Cheetah Club part of the group of bars etc on Old Skokie Rd in Park City?  All gone as they were then although some of the buildings still stand.

It's all good. I could have it mixed up as well but here is what I recall. Also glad to hear there is a member so close by.

The bars on old Skokie rd were called "Down the Street" (country) and the other was called the "Night Gallery" (Rock). There was a third bar there also but it had burned down, I think it was called "The Mouse Trap". I worked the door at the Night Gallery up till they closed around 1980. It was later reopened as Blue Suede Shoes (50/60s music).

The man that owned the Cheetah I club on 137 and 41 also owned the Cheetah II club on 173 and 41. When he passed the club on 173 became the 41club if I remember correctly.

I'm on the north side of Waukegan in the township off Greenbay rd. used to stop in on some friends at the custard shop in Zion when they were doing their cruise night.

Edited by Veemoney
  • Like 1

I had forgotten about the Cheetah II.  When I was going to bars in the very early 1970’s it was a regular bar.  I remember the other clubs you mentioned but never went to them. I was more a Turf and  Paddock Club kinda guy.  I am on the north side of Zion north of 173.  Do you mean Culver’s?  I know they had a Thursday cruise in for a long time.  I don’t recall Shirl’s having one but...

On 4/12/2021 at 9:40 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Did you knowa guy named Mike Dufern?  He lived off of 45 where the road bears right about three or four miles north of the Illinois line.  Can’t remember the name  but there is a large barn with a smilie face at the intersection with 45. Been  there forever.The area you are talking about must be on old 41?  At Russell Road?  That is now a T A truckstop on one side and another type of truckstop on the other.  There are a few business still there but although they are close to me I don’ recall what they are now.  

The name is familiar and I know the barn. I bailed hay and shoveled cow s**t at Bristol Farms, just south of C and west of 45. When I 18. most of my carousing was between Trevor and Twin Lakes and then around Kenosha. Tossed out of the Brat Stop for breaking a guys nose when he grabbed my wife's behind.

And yes, that place was on old 41 between 173 and Russell.

As I am now located in SW Kane County in Illannoy, other than going up to Kenosha to see my mother in law, who I like, I'm rarely out that way. 

• Like 1

My parents’ best friends owned a Chevron station from the late 50’s to the early 70’s in the north end of Redding, CA. Their 3 boys learned how to serve the customers washing windshields and pumping gas etc. S&H green stamps yes. They learned how to wrench at the station. My family would drive up from Sacramento and meet them to go to Whiskey town lake to water ski with their boat. We would gas up at the station and borrow soda from the machine. Jim, the owner had a ‘66 hot dodge 2dr with a 6-pack. I remember that car. It was silver and fast. He also inherited his uncles’ dodge victory 6 that is still in the family. And all 3 boys had cool cars such as Datsun 240 z, ‘69 ss396 etc... and motor cross bikes.   It rubbed off on me.  Ha

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yep early to mid 70's part time. Mostly doing snow tires. Back then it was very busy when the first snow was forecasted. Did a lot of full service. Pump the gas, clean the windows and check the oil and tire pressure. Did every car back then. Boss was outstanding and thought service was very important sad that is not the case today. I guess front wheel drive did away with the snow tires for the most part.  

Snow tire installation/removal is still a seasonal tradition up here.  Not snow tires per se, but studded tires.  Most folks buy an extra set of rims for their studded tires, and some of the tire shops will store whichever tires aren't on your car for you as well.  The storage fee is included in the swap-out fee.  When you can put them on is kind of hit-or-miss, depends on Mother Nature, but they have to be off by May 1st.