T5 transmission swap question

I’m looking for anyone who has made the T5transmission swap in a 1930’s truck. 
I would like to know what you have done with the frame cross member drive shaft hole with this swap. 
the DS hole isn’t big enough for the T5 so would like to know if you all just increase the size of the DS hole, or did  you just cut out the bottom of the frame and replace it with some form of  support?

this only applies to truck frames  

thanks 

0AF182F0-F10F-4F24-BEAD-C0E29713987A.jpeg

352DAAA4-920E-46AD-A07C-CA635071302C.jpeg

The 39-47 frames have an arch vs a hole but it's still too small. I cut about an inch off and then welded another strip on horizontally to reinforce the area. Check my turkey truck build thread for pics

Just for clarification say cut the whole circle out about an inch?

I was thinking of cutting the lower cross support out and widen it to the size i need then take some angle with flat stock and bolt it all back together to fill in what I cut out but also if I have to remove the tranny again I can just unbolt the lower section for easy removal. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

See rough sketch 

EC8CD91A-F449-4B12-90DD-5007C59D23F2.jpeg

Edited by 38 Dodge RC

That certainly looks like it would work. Be mindful of that lower edge if it's also the gas tank mount. I got a little wide on my cut with the saws all and had to do a little welding....

19 minutes ago, 38 Dodge RC said:

Thanks Ed,

I looked at the pictures did your frame just have an arch or was it like mine and you just cut out the bottom?

Just an arch and I enlarged it about an inch overall to clear the t5. Then welded a lip back to the edge like the original

Did you use a T5 out of an S10?

my confusion is looking at your frame the transmission section on yours is arched where mine is straight across. 
with a dip in the bottom. I guess I’ll just try to fit the tranny and see what I will have to cutout and go for it. 

I have a 36 pickup and I moved the crossmember aft by about 7 inches and I re-located the hole to match the transmission.  Of course, that crossmember also is the front mount for the fuel tank so I also moved the fuel tank to behind the rear end.  

IMG_1824.jpeg

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2651.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks.  I am using a Ford 8.8 diff from a 96 Explorer for a better ratio.  Width and lug bolt pattern is identical to the original and I get disc brakes.  I used the original e-brake handle assembly and made a bracket that bolts to the transmission and pulls the cables for the e-brakes.  The fuel tank is from Tanks Inc and is 30"x 16"x8" for 15 gals.  it fits nicely behind the rearend.  https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=216/category_id=133/mode=prod/prd216.htm

IMG_2152.jpeg

I have kept all my original parts intact in case I ever want to go back to original.  All of the mods that I have done are reversible.  That said, I came up with a scrap transmission and used the shifter from that and welded it to the T5 stub. For the master cylinder, I am using a Dual master cylinder from a 97-2006 Jeep wrangler.  I looked at a lot of master cylinders and this one was one of the few that would fit in the tight space.  I made a plate to convert the three hole space to accept the two hole master cylinder.  

IMG_2062.jpeg

IMG_2063.jpeg

IMG_2065.jpeg

IMG_2071.jpeg

• Like 2

That sure is helpful. I will look for that MC. 
I’m like you o don’t want to tear up my original equipment. But I do like the original look you got going. Do you have any pictures of the parking brake bracket I would like to see how that is attached also. 
I was thinking about moving my cross brace like you did and just cut my tank down to side to make it  fit in the same area. 

The bracket primarily bolts to what used to be the transmission mount at the bottom.  I also made a bracket that bolts to the transmission between the main space and the tail shaft housing.  There are probably lots of ways to do this but this is what I came up with.

Bob

IMG_3241.jpeg

IMG_3242.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My design is similar, though it is a Tremec rather than T5.P1120562resized.jpeg.cacf37dd264edad1a50a097c72cebb03.jpeg

P1120565resized.jpeg

P1120564resized.jpeg

• Like 2

This is a great subject with great pictures! Every  aspect from the mc to the gas tank and cross brace relocation on my ‘36 has me revved. I have been stymied how to hook up my emergency brake and these pictures have energized me to figure it out since putting in the R-10. Thanks everyone! 

D500B17A-73CD-46F6-98CD-54D24831FBB1.jpeg