Help me ID this Chrysler drive train.

5akman

I recently bought a "Philift" forklift with a Chrysler flathead 6. It specs out to a 1951 - 1953 B - 3 - D or B - 4 - D. Its not currently running so I'm in need of ID'ing various parts of it so I can order parts and start using it. 

The prior owner said it has a "shuttle shift" along with the regular shift (not sure if its a 3 sp or 4 sp) and that it needs a clutch. I'm hoping someone here can help ID the bellhousing/trans/shuttle unit and recommend a place to get the clutch parts. 

IMG_20210228_171951192.jpg

IMG_20210228_171956624.jpg

looks like a 3spd attached to Forward-Reverse that is mounted to the bellhousing, but that's just a guess...ya might can source clutch repair service locally, inquire at a local forklift repair to get started, they might be able to point you in the right direction  :cool:

• Like 1

From my early forklift experience with Chrysler flathead motors the trans closest to the motor is a manual forward/reverse box that goes forward when the handle is pulled towards the motor and behind that is a 4 spd. box that the pattern is also like a normal truck but the pattern is backwards.

The motor/flywheel used a Mopar Fluid drive with the clutch on the Fluid drive unit. Most likely a 11" truck clutch. Been way to many years ago but is a common style not something special or weird.

If foggy remember is correct  the trans is a BW  T-5??

DJ

4 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

From my early forklift experience with Chrysler flathead motors the trans closest to the motor is a manual forward/reverse box that goes forward when the handle is pulled towards the motor and behind that is a 4 spd. box that the pattern is also like a normal truck but the pattern is backwards.

The motor/flywheel used a Mopar Fluid drive with the clutch on the Fluid drive unit. Most likely a 11" truck clutch. Been way to many years ago but is a common style not something special or weird.

If foggy remember is correct  the trans is a BW  T-5??

DJ

So, looking at the pic below, I see a typical looking torque converter style dust cover. I was thinking that the fluid drive assembly was completed sealed as it contained fluid and the flywheel/flex plate rotated within that sealed area. Is that not correct? Is what I have here a fluid drive clutch? If so, is the clutch disc itself dry?

IMG_20210301_171824083.jpg

I did a bit of research and it appears the trans is a BW T98 and the "shuttle" is a BW L2 which is used in many ag rigs such a log skidders. So what exactly does a fluid coupling do? I assume there has to be a fill/drain somewhere, what fluid does it use. How do I tell if its functional? Since I'm disassembling to do the clutch job, I want to address everything else while I'm at it.

Thanks!

Edited by 5akman

I agree with Merle.

I see two floor shifters and a enough room for the standard clutch.

The fluid drive housing is much longer.

....and not sure what the benefit of a hill holder type tranny would do for a forklift. hmmmm.

48D

The fluid coupling was a dampener on trucks that reduced wear on universal joints and rear differential bearings, also allowed starting and stopping in traffic without pushing in the clutch pedal...sort of a bridge technology between manual and automatic transmissions.  The dust cover looks wet enough that maybe that flathead rear main seal is incontinent...

It kinda looks like the speed gearshift has been cut off above the deck; I see the F-R, up-down, elev.tilt, and park brake levers.  Maybe a previous owner just set the speed in low cuz that's all they needed...?

additional information - Fluid Drive General Dimensions

Edited by JBNeal
added link

IMG_20200209_131619754.jpg.704ddfddeef2a8239cf7c7465d91e492.jpg.

That's an early 1950 fluid drive (still using the floor shifter)

IMG_20200209_131743114_HDR.jpg.457ace73e66f956f1ca4b83f9e3dcfb2.jpg

And this is a 1952 standard trans using the column shifter.

Note: pedal dimensions and attachments are different as well.

48D

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 1

I pulled the oily clutch pan and it looks to be a dry clutch. All the dripping oil however leads me to believe the rear main is leaking so I'll add that to the list. I'm working on removing the cage and floor pan off of the forklift which will make unbolting the clutch/shuttle/trans/ebrake real easy ( I hope)

On 3/4/2021 at 7:06 AM, 48Dodger said:

I agree with Merle.

I see two floor shifters and a enough room for the standard clutch.

The fluid drive housing is much longer.

....and not sure what the benefit of a hill holder type tranny would do for a forklift. hmmmm.

48D

I know I thoroughly appreciate the fluid drive setup in my tractor for smooth starts and being able to simply and easily nudge the tractor into position like when I am hooking up equipment, or backing a hay wagon into the barn, or whatever.... I imagine all that would be amplified more with a forklift. 

But I also agree - that looks like a standard clutch bell. 

• Like 1