Rubber Matting for 1940 Dodge Trunk

Marcel Backs

I am trying to find rubber matting for the trunk and behind the seat hopefully in a 4x8 foot roll. The rubber mat in the picture is from my 40 coupe and I would like to match the original rib pattern. Any help with locating this would be of great help. All the best to everyone! M

056D3E02-4117-4B27-835C-7F04682486D5.jpeg

Marcel, there has been several enquiries in recent threads asking about where to source replacement rubber floormats for our vehicles. The replies indicate that no one currently makes them. Like others,  I am going to get carpet. I did, however email Kris Arneson and ask if he could make some up. His reply was that he was so busy with runningboard rubbers that he didn't have the time. He did say that he had done some mats in the past though. There is certainly a gap in the market for these. Perhaps a few more prospective buyers enquiring of his skills in rubber work might encourage him to expand into mats too.

• Like 1

I know its not original but I used a thin carpet like material obtained from a local upholster and glued by me to the sheetmetal, and a piece of plywood cut to the rear seat back size........the box on the side is the battery box, inset into the rear wheel arch, the metal carry case has a full set of tools............I must do something about a neat cover for the spare.............lol.............andyd 

P1000810 (800x600).jpg

P1000811 (800x600).jpg

• Like 3

This is nice work in your trunk Andy. It makes for a very clean finish. My trunk will take enough carpet to finish a small living room but soon will be consulting the. upholsterer to finalize the interior design which I will try to keep as close as possible to stock. I do. have a nice repro rubber mat for the front part of the floor and it's just the large area behind the seat (being a business coupe) to deal with which I will think about. The last time I talked to Kris, he was also doing complete. restorations as well as running boards, so you're right Pete his services are uncommon and a demand has arisen. One thing about restoring these old cars is you have to persevere and eventually come up with the answer which is quite suitable as a pursuit during retirement. M

Some people in past discussions have mentioned that places like Lowe's handle a rubber floor or stair runner that might be used for

the trunk and perhaps running boards.  I have not checked into it personally as I now have maroon carpet in the trunk which matches

the floors of the car.  Several years ago I found at a swap meet a new old stock rubber front P15 floor mat which I installed and used

until it began splitting.

It would be possible to do that since the floors are for the most part flat. The repro that I have is completely flat but later models may require some moulding to sit properly and conform to any contours. A heat gun could accomplish this but I have not tried it. M