Examining Plug Wires

ChrisMinelli

This is a dumb rookie question, but in my defense I’ve never owned a car that didn’t have coil packs and those are bad when... the computer says they are bad.  (I know, I know).  

How can I tell if and when my spark plug wires are bad and need replacement?   The guy before me didn’t bother putting boots on them (!) so I want to change them out eventually anyway.  I don’t want to do it this year if it’s not necessary though.  

If I check each wire for resistance, what is a good number?  Is there another way to determine if they are good?

Here is another way  to see if the wires are leaking or need to be replaced;

At nighttime the darker the better. Start your car open the hood. Then llok at each sparkplug wire, Do not touch tem while it is running or you willget a nice shock to your hand.

Do not use any flashlight to examine the wires.  Look to see if you see any blue streaks or lighting streaks coming off  each wire. If this is happening the covering is bad and the wires need to be replaced.

I would also advise on putting boots on each plug end.   You cango to any NAPA or Autozone and buy sparkplug wires in any length that you need and then get the ends and other caps and make each sperate wire to be a custom fit.

Hint only do one wire at a time some start with number one, pull the wire off the plug and then off the dizzy cap and pull it out of the wire holder.  If it is the correct length then cut the new wire to the same length , put the rubber boots on each end then crimp the ends inplace.  Put that wire back onthe cap and on the appropriate sparkplug.

This eliminates the issue of where each wire goes from the cap to what plug, logical process.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com   

ADD- after cutting to length you can put on One ends setup but reinstall through the wire holder then install the second end.  Otherwise almost impossible to get thru holder.

Just a side note, not a criticism of previous advise!?

DJ

If you think you are seeing blue Sparks but aren't sure, put a little water in a spray bottle and mist around the wires.  Plugs and wires are realitvely inexpensive.  I am using a set of universal six cylinder wires from tractor supply.  These are semi dyi as you need to trim to length and put on the distributor end brass bits.  They have been there for 15 years so far and we're under 20 bucks when I bought them.  Recommend. AC45r plugs or their Autolight equivalents, Champion ceramics are questionable these days.  The wires are not resistor type so if you listen to your radio, resistor plugs are needed.  Resistor plugs want a wider gap, I think mine are set at .32.

The one at a time hint is a winner for swapping plug wires without headaches.

Seems in my thinking, original wires did not have boots on the plugs. Something that came along in later years.  My wires needed to be replaced before I could do first start on it.

Went to local parts store to buy some .... guy at the counter could not figure out how to find a set that would fit. I brought the old ones with me to match up. I would have been happy with a set for a V8 and just use the ones I needed. I left there very disappointed.

I figured out the best way may be to just order and make your own after the experience.

I went home and ordered 6 wires from rockauto the same length just to get the engine started. They made it 3 hours away from my house and sat there for 6 days before they moved again  :(

I never thought about tractor supply ... thanks for the tip @greg g

I plan to build my own wires, like the cloth covered wires to make it look original ... no boots. If you are questioning the condition of your wires, may be time to replace for peace of mind.

23 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

ADD- after cutting to length you can put on One ends setup but reinstall through the wire holder then install the second end.  Otherwise almost impossible to get thru holder.

Just a side note, not a criticism of previous advise!?

DJ

DJ After I submitted my comment yes you have to have the one end not with the boot on to get it through the loom that holds all the wires.  Good pickup on my comment.  i just knew that but was typing ahead of myself.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

49 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

DJ After I submitted my comment yes you have to have the one end not with the boot on to get it through the loom that holds all the wires.  Good pickup on my comment.  i just knew that but was typing ahead of myself.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

I knew that You knew that bit but not sure that Chris did being new and all. He just might have figured it out also, but worth mentioning -my line of thinkin".

DJ

• Like 1