Kew Engine

Pauld

Hi, I hoping that someone might be able to help me with a bit of info regarding a KEW engine i have.

The serial number on the side of the block says B in a raised circle then KEW  2A2 4843

Other numbers on the opposite side near the rear M021043

I am trying to find out the capacity, performance etc. This will be used to replace a damaged engine i have

I have a 1938 Dodge special with a 250 cui that has a damaged crank and hoping to use some of the parts to rebuild my engine.

This is being used in historic racing in Australia,

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Paul.

3 minutes ago, Pauld said:

Hi, I hoping that someone might be able to help me with a bit of info regarding a KEW engine i have.

The serial number on the side of the block says B in a raised circle then KEW  2A2 4843

Other numbers on the opposite side near the rear M021043

I am trying to find out the capacity, performance etc. This will be used to replace a damaged engine i have

I have a 1938 Dodge special with a 250 cui that has a damaged crank and hoping to use some of the parts to rebuild my engine.

This is being used in historic racing in Australia,

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Paul.

Hi Paul, @Andydodge is the expert here on the KEW engines, I'm sure he will chime in shortly.

Frank.....to paraphase Monty Python........"he is a naughty,naughty boy"...........seriously he isn't but the "KEW" term when used in relation to Oz mopars refers to the 25" engines used in various Oz mopars from the late 30's onwards.......these were ordered via the UK Mopar factory in KEW a London UK suburb and supplied supposedly from Canada, at least on paper they were, which because the Commonwealth link was used there was a reduction in import tarrifs and taxes..........unfortunately the "KEW" term has tended to be used here in Oz when referring to any mopar 6 here, both the short 23" Plymouth engines and the long 25" Chrysler/DeSoto ones................the Chrysler/DeSoto 25" engines however were the only ones to have "Kew" stamped into the engine number pad..........it gets more confusing when in the 1950's both engines, the 23 and 25 inch were used sometimes in the same model in the same year the usage dependant upon which transmission was ordered or supplied.................

......so getting back to Pauls question.......if he has a 250 engine then its a pretty strong bet that its a 25" and therefore a "KEW"............I haven't any thing to help re exactly what capacity his possible replacement engine is but it could be a 218, 228 or 250 capacity, different bore & strokes were used......

.........Paul.....welcome aboard............lol...............andyd. 

• Thanks 1

Frank go to allpar.com search exports.  Chrysler Corp used all kinds of strategies to work around tarriffs, taxes, and custom fees, even down to different work around neighbouring countries in Europe.  South and central America also found creative ways to keep local authorities out of the piggy bank. Cuz a DeSoto Diplomat wore different a hard depending where the Plymouth body was screwed together. And South Africa was a whole nother deal.

• Thanks 1

Frank.......my apologies if I said something wrong.........my Oz humour was referring to PaulD..........and I really like your car Paul............BTW has your car been mentioned by Ted Robinette in Australian Street Rodding magazine?.............regards, andyd

Interesting...The KEW stamped engine was in cars down under. Indeed the engines could have been built at the engine foundry in Windsor, Ontario Canada. My understanding is they only offered the 25" engine there in the in-line 6 engine. Small 218 (218.06 ci),  up t0 265  (264.5 ci)  engines were offered by mixing and matching various throw cranks and bore sizes. I believe bores were either 3 ⅜ or 3 7/16 only, in the 6 cylinder.

The 250 you mention in your Dodge , is this the one many folks refer to as the  251 that was the Chrysler engine?   Spec'd at 250.6 ci, 3 7/16" bore x 4 ½" stroke? 

Have you measured your stroke? The pipe plug atop #6 cylinder, in the head allows easy stroke measurement. I am not sure if the 38 Dodge ever had that engine when new. 

Sorry I can offer much info. I am interested in learning more. 

Edited by keithb7

13 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Frank.......my apologies if I said something wrong.........my Oz humour was referring to PaulD..........and I really like your car Paul............BTW has your car been mentioned by Ted Robinette in Australian Street Rodding magazine?.............regards, andyd

Andy you are always polite, this is my kew/cue get it. Now go to your corner....lol.

• Haha 1

Tyres are Dunlop Racing 204.  6.00L-16

car has dodge engine front axle and diff. The car is a pre war special built from parts pre war to resemble cars of that era.

first raced in 2006 in Australia 

• Like 1