Seat upholstery replacement

DadRchmnd

The seats in the coronet aren't in great shape. They're definitely the original seats. Frames and springs all look ok, surface rust but I can wire brush that off. My big question is where to source foam and covers from if possible. I've found info on headliner replacement on here, so I'm set there. But, I'm unable to find any current info on seat covers or replacement. I've checked the links group and anything I've found there is either a dead link now, or, no longer carries covers for these seats. Any and all direction is greatly appreciated. 

After I had a local shop do the front seat of an old Travelall I wanted to sell, I swore off trying to DIY upholstery.

They got it done so much faster and better than I could ever hope to do.

I didn't think it was cheap but the results were great and the seat was comfortable again.

In my humble opinion paint & body work are not my strong suits and now I've added upholstery to that list.

Better to do what I am good at and let the guys who make a living at the things I am not good at earn a paycheck.

Gives me more time to enjoy my self.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RecklessBattleBorn said:

If you're handy with a needle you could always get foam and material from the local craft store, or hit up an upholsterer it's a fairly simple job so it shouldn't cost much. my foam and fabric for my seats only ran me a little south of $200.

That is definitely an option. My mom is an amazing seamstress and thinks we can mock up something with scrap fabric, then replicate in upholstery fabric with a heavy duty machine I have access to. But, as Ian Malcolm says, "just because we can, should we?" (paraphrase)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Isn't headliner for Mopar cars of the 40s usually made of cotton, and the seats are mostly of wool broadcloth?  It's probably getting harder to find a good upholstery shop and the textile suppliers for the material.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think the issue is. Am thinking of going vinyl or even canvas like material, think Carhartt, an might be able to find an upholsterer for that.

43 minutes ago, Loren said:

After I had a local shop do the front seat of an old Travelall I wanted to sell, I swore off trying to DIY upholstery.

They got it done so much faster and better than I could ever hope to do.

I didn't think it was cheap but the results were great and the seat was comfortable again.

In my humble opinion paint & body work are not my strong suits and now I've added upholstery to that list.

Better to do what I am good at and let the guys who make a living at the things I am not good at earn a paycheck.

Gives me more time to enjoy my self.

Completely agree with you. I've got enough work with the other stuff. 

My wife is pretty handy with a sewing machine.  W bought some fabric from the clearance bin at J Anns, and grabbed some pattern paper.  With her knowledge of seam allowances, tucks and darts and such we used the paper to make patterns cut and sew seat covers for our 46.  The fabric is nothing like the factory stuff but it was upholstery fabric with a couple of redos for some of the curved parts, we ended up with a serviceacle but certainly not concourse interior.  The original material is under the covers and gives the seat bottoms some of their original shape.  Door panels and package tray were done in the same material.  I think it took 8 yards, club coupe and sedans would require an additional any to accomodate the seat surfaces and rear doors and depending on model what the back side of the front seats are covered with.

post-3-13585344571199.jpg

post-3-13585344694235.jpg

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

I bought a used Pfaff several years ago and have started putting it to use, getting used to it as I go.  I have a few projects that will need interiors and am willing to try it myself.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 3:11 PM, greg g said:

post-3-13585344571313.jpg

Those look great! I'm going to use the old as a template since I have to tear it off anyway, rodents and mildew having got the best of it. Even if its a temp fix to get me going. I really like the look and texture you've got!