Heater Wiring D-24

Conn47D24

Since the heaters were an option they do not appear on the D24 wiring schematic drawing.

When I disassembled my car ( 40 years ago ), I marked the power wire from the heater switch to the COIL terminal on the ignition.

Question: is this correct?  Or should it be on the RAD / GA terminal ?

I don't know where the dealer would have installed it, however personally I don't like adding anything to the ignition circuit. 

I'd tie power into the aux circuit if there is one. So when the key is on then power is sent to a switch, then on to  the blower motor. 6V? Will probably need about a 7A fuse.

I'd add one. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use the ammeter or the acc terminal of the IGN switch so the fan won't run with IGN off.  Use 12 gauge wire at a minimum.  10 amp inline fuse wouldn't hurt.  Remember the switch uses resistance to vary the fan speed so make sure the switch isn't in contact with any other wires or under dash stuff.

Also check the amp gauge terminals with your circuit tester. You want to connect to the one that's dead with IGN off. Maybe add one of these powered from acc in case you might want to add items later.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Distribution-Block-BUSBAR-Cover/dp/B07CCGCWKD/ref=asc_df_B07CCGCWKD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=316623965946&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13622420843754484519&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005095&hvtargid=pla-583355888867&psc=1

Edited by greg g
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, donny-b said:

My 48 Plymouth has 2 heaters. They were wired to a heater switch which came off the ammeter.

The heater motors could be left on with the key off if wired to the always hot ammeter terminals.

Use the RA/GA terminals of the ignition switch to power the heater motor's.

Key on key off

controlled wired to the RA/GA terminal.

Use 14 ga. black/ w/white tracer wire  for stock installation .

The ignition switch is fed directly from the ammeter.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

A bit more that you may consider Clay. Agree with all the above advice but if you want to add other accessories, period or otherwise then consider setting up a self made accessory/fuse board. Have had this done to mine. Is hidden up under dash but still accessible enough. imagejpeg_2.jpg.032526f659249e932733826494d31182.jpg

1. Is for auxiliary connections and fuses.

2. Is flasher unit for turn signal.

3. 6v to 12v and polarity converter. For modern FM radio/bluetooth.

4. Connection point for that radio.

Am also going to hook up a USB charger somewhere discreetly too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1