Changing the fluid drive coupler to a regular 3 speed transmission

Dimmer

I have a 1951 dodge b3b equipped with the fluid drive coupler. The input shaft is worn and after extensive searching I’m unable to find a new input shaft. I’m thinking of eliminating the Fluid Drive coupler and transmission. I’m wondering if anyone has done this and also what bell housing I need and what transmission. I could use some help. Thanks 

On an unrelated topic (for educational purposes only ?)

anyone know if the input shaft on a column shift FD is the same as a floor shift FD? 

2 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

On an unrelated topic (for educational purposes only ?)

anyone know if the input shaft on a column shift FD is the same as a floor shift FD? 

I didn't even know that a floor shift FD existed.  But, If  you can give me year info, I'll check my old Hollander interchange

edit:  Well I knew of the four speed versions, but none of the internals would work in a 3 spd.   So, I'd need a model with a 3spd floor shift w/FD.

Edited by kencombs
  • Thanks 1

I’m in the process of installing an S10 T5 in my FD B2B. There is nothing wrong with my FD, I just wanted the overdrive gear. There is virtually nothing from the FD that can be used for such a change. You’ll need a standard bell housing (3 or 4 speed), flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, pedal assembly, including spring bracket. If your FD was a floor shift and you’re going with a column shift, you’ll need all the column shift linkage, including the steering column. Drive shaft will need to be lengthened. Best to find a truck that has everything you need. Another option is what I’m doing-go with a T5.

Omg that seems like a lot of work. If i could just locate another 3speed fluid drive input shaft. I dont really care if the truck has overdrive 45-50 mph is fine with me. My truck is down at the engine shop it was equipped with a 218 originally. The engine was old and needed a rebuild. The engine shop pulled the motor and the transmission. When i bought the truck there was another engine in the bed. Turns out it is a 1953 230. So I took the engine crank, cam, rods and lifters down to the shop and they are going use it to turn the 1951 into a 230. They were the ones who noticed some roller bearing wear on the input shaft and thought it should be replaced. It’s then i found out how difficult it is to find a replacement. The truck was driving prior although periodically it would hop a little when starting off. They are replacing the clutch and mounts. The regular short inputs are available but not the longer fluid drive. I was trying to find other options to keep my beautiful truck rolling. I guess ill just use my current input shaft rebuilt engine and see how long it keeps moving. The old truck seems to fight me on ever turn from king pins to brakes. I hope the engine rebuild and upgrade goes ok. I dont have the skill set to do it myself. My father was the mechanic and i use all his tools for the work I do on the truck. It’s been a fairly costly little project. Any other advice.  Thanks 

Is your 3 speed  FD input shaft # 1196755  damaged where it rides in the two bushings in the FD coupling?

The coupling has two replaceable input shaft oilite bushings.

I have had to replace those on a few jobs.

And also input shafts that were damaged.

AMS shows that they have that input shaft part #.

Input shaft #1196755 is for the FD 3 speed trans....

B series 1,2 and 3.

B4 is a different #.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Yes that is the part number for the 3 speed fluid drive. If you are looking at the gear end approx 3/4 inch into the gear there is a hardened surface that has some wear from the roller bearings that ride in there.  Is that what the bushings fix. If so what is AMS and do you know the part number  

That (roller bearing surface) is an area subject to wear as are the pointed syncro teeth.

Those roller bearings also ride on the forward end of the mainshaft/output shaft.

That shaft needs to be checked for wear damage too.

AMS Obsolete sells new MoPar parts.

Here is the link..www.amsnos.com

I ran that part number in their search box and it said it was in inventory.

You have to call to be sure.

Now maybe someone else has that part new too.

I could not find one elsewhere though.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya