1948 Plymouth P15 Business Coupe

Graham Paul

When I had keys made for my 51 I could not figure out how to get the trunk lock cylinder out, so I took the whole handle to the locksmith.  If you have figured out how to get the lock cylinder out please share.  My service manual was unhelpful.

the manner in which the cylinder locks into the barrel requires one to be able to turn the cylinder within the barrel of the handle via a key or at least pick the tumbler to where the cylinder will turn.  there is a brass locating tab that aligns and will protrude into the barrel.  The cylinder is cam ground so that when the key is turned the pin can be pushed down against the cam and out of the hole.  This is usually done with a paper clip or substitute wire through a very small bored hole in the handle assembly.   When the new lock cylinder and key is inserted and turned the cam will again push the locating/lock pin back into the hole in the handle.   

• Like 2

Well, that explains it, I had no key to turn it.  I do now.  Sounds similar to the ignition cylinder removal.  Of course one wonders why that was done, the only time I can think of where you'd need to pull it is when it's broke and doesn't turn or you have no key, lol. 

Thanks PA

• Like 1