completed projects....am calling it done...

Plymouthy Adams

last parts came in today for my lift.......hopefully this is done and done been waiting to put this thing to bed.......buildings are complete also and outfitted for working as needed...now to get back onto a car project or three.....I finished the lift with finals to cover the cable ends and attached gargoyles just for dress....Installed a 30" mirror for to see where I am at when driving on.....few boxes to file away yet....just in time I hope as the weather is breaking a bit for us.  

IMG_4081.JPG

IMG_4082.JPG

IMG_4083.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

that tree is not as close as it looks as I can drive close to it and drive in....however I would loved to have it shifter north about 3-4 feet...it is what it is for sure.  These trees were here at least 90 years before I got here according to one of the senior members of the neighborhood...he stated they were mature when he was a young man in 1950.   I do not like removing trees.... 

I sure like the finished product. 
gargoyles are a nice touch. 
i havent been able to find a mirror like yours, exactly what i need as well. I have a big flat mirror, it works, not as nearly effective as yours though. 
now get to work and dirty it up! 

when spring shows up i will be repainting my hoist,something that needs to be done after 3 years of daily use. Winters are the hardest on it, salt is the worst. 

2 hours ago, Tooljunkie said:

I sure like the finished product. 
gargoyles are a nice touch. 
i havent been able to find a mirror like yours, exactly what i need as well. I have a big flat mirror, it works, not as nearly effective as yours though. 
now get to work and dirty it up! 

when spring shows up i will be repainting my hoist,something that needs to be done after 3 years of daily use. Winters are the hardest on it, salt is the worst. 

His mirror looks like something you'd see on the wall at a gas station to watch shoplifters. Maybe that will help with a source

1 minute ago, Young Ed said:

His mirror looks like something you'd see on the wall at a gas station to watch shoplifters. Maybe that will help with a source

Here's one. It's glass but they have an acrylic one listed for less $$. Being a traditionalist I'd go for the glass one.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1882-I/Safety-Mirrors/Convex-Mirror-36-Glass-Indoor?pricode=WA9152&gadtype=pla&id=H-1882-I&gclid=CjwKCAiA1eKBBhBZEiwAX3gqlyFtF3TrBUjdS7EF8cw0hUCFUsV6jEhMqCtJkwkTmYJYHSzG_KtX-BoCabkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by MackTheFinger
'cause I forgot the link.

43 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

Looks good but let's get real, that mirror's there so you can make sure you look marvelous at all times, isn't it.. Isn't it??

well...moment of truth....its there because the mirror was NIB and of no cost to me....the mounts always sold separate as best my search goes is one of a TV wall mount...pop a few holes...bingo it was done.

• 3 weeks later...

Think of all the jobs you can now do more easily ! 

I have been using an air/oil post hoist for 30 plus years but it is outside the garage.  Light is better there but that is scant consolation.    I really admire your set up.  

Also,  your parking spaces are now 2 for 1  so long as the top space is not occupied by a leaker.  

Best to all  !

@dpollo Regarding the outside lift. A 2 post if I recall. Does the weather, affect its reliability? Rust, scale? Humidity? I sure want a lift. I'd consider an outdoor placement. Not ideal but better than nothing. We are pretty dry up here in Kamloops, but we get our share of snow each winter. The hoist would sit mostly unused for 4 months per year.

Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb. The rest of the year, pretty usable.  I am interested in hearing comments about how these vehicle hoists hold up outside. Thanks.

my outside lift, 4 poster, did not last but a couple weeks outside due to my choice......though it was roofed over and all....I could not handle the wind blowing in leaves and other debris....neighbors cats and other environmental issues...I quick enclosed the carport section, added the 10 x 30 lean-to work area and benches etc. built three sets of drive through doors and called that done....I feel better having it secured.  My friend still has his lift outside basically open and sitting on a concrete pad only...requires heavy grease on the cables....weather proof enclosure for the pump assembly....he has really not had issues with it that I am aware of....I have observed it a couple times over the years but not of late....maybe two years since I have been to his place and walked outback to the work area. 

shop in the town next to my area has one that has been out of doors for some 20 years....observed it day before yesterday and while did not do a close up inspection...it looked in good shape and still shiny paint.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

My outside hoist is a single post  and is  not affected by weather although it does not get that cold. around here.   I changed the oil  (25 gallons) this year due to water contamination but the air for lifting would bring moisture with it each time.

Altogether, it is a very satisfactory unit but it lacks a safety prop.