Question for You Old Timers

ChrisMinelli

I was talking to an older guy today about my car (52 Plymouth) and he was telling me that back in the day it was as common for a mechanic to taste a couple drops of the oil in addition to looking at spark plugs, etc to determine the health of the engine. He said you could taste burning, metallic bits, presence of gasoline etc and that could tell you a lot about what was going on inside. 

He recommended not tasting modern synthetic because it will kill you.  Same with ATF.  

Have you ever heard of this, or was he just pulling my leg?

Tasting oil no.

When I was working at the automotive store, some of the guys that worked there, told me you didn't need an antifreeze tester. Dip your finger in the radiator, touch it to your tongue, if it was sweet it was good yet, it it was bitter time to change. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS! Get a tester.

Well, first define "old timer"...(as I cringe thinking I may fit the bill).  He's probably passing along a prank that was played on him in the past to see if you'll fall for it.  You can smell, see, and feel all those things he sez you can taste, but he's banking on you not knowing that, assuming you are a gullible newbie.  You shoulda called BS and made him show you...  

Edited by Dan Hiebert

I have tasted every automotive fluid, none voluntarily though.

Smell, look, feel yes.  maybe even put a few drop on a white paper towel to get a better look at the solids in the oil.

There is a reason life expectancy has gone up, people stopped doing foolish stuff like that.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ChrisMinelli said:

I was talking to an older guy today about my car (52 Plymouth) and he was telling me that back in the day it was as common for a mechanic to taste a couple drops of the oil in addition to looking at spark plugs, etc to determine the health of the engine. He said you could taste burning, metallic bits, presence of gasoline etc and that could tell you a lot about what was going on inside. 

He recommended not tasting modern synthetic because it will kill you.  Same with ATF.  

Have you ever heard of this, or was he just pulling my leg?

Chris, I think he's the only older guy left who did this. The rest of 'em are

DEAD!!! Poisoned!!!

A lot of the old guys I knew back in ancient times were big fans of tuning each engine to it’s individual best settings. They would start at the factory specs and start adjusting one thing after another (carb, timing, plugs, sometimes experimenting with hotter or cooler plugs to see if it changed anything).  They would do this until it hit the “sweet spot” and they would pronounce the job done.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

While my qualifications as an advocate of all things in moderation might be called into question. And I might also point out,I'm not a health food nut... but I do read labels as to what chemicals I ingest...While I am not a chemist, I gather both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are sweet to the taste - ethylene glycol is more toxic while propylene glycol is less. I personally avoid both.  For those who eat chocolate, propylene glycol is sometimes listed as an ingredient .... I  agree with  MackTheFinger,  perhaps moderation is a good thing. LOL