Cherokee rear end swaps...leaf springs

lostviking

So, many have done this to get a modern rear and brakes under their trucks. Mine is a 46 WD15. Right now it sits way up in the rear, and for a 3/4 ton I can understand that. I'm never going to load it like that again.

I wanted to ask what leaf springs people are using when they do the swap. Mine are 75 years old, they need to be replaced anyway. I don't want to just buy another set of stock ones, then take out leafs to get them down. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by lostviking

• 2 weeks later...

I think most used the original springs, maybe dismantled and cleaned them up, maybe greased them or teflon strips, reassembled, maybe removing a few leaves.  I doubt many bought new springs, the Mopar owners I know for the most part being a frugal bunch  If yours is a 3/4, maybe  purchase springs for a 1/2 ton or run the truck over a scale and call the spring manufacturer and discuss it with them.  Since ride comfort is subjective, you may find it a bit trial and error.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 2:44 PM, lostviking said:

So, many have done this to get a modern rear and brakes under their trucks. Mine is a 46 WD15. Right now it sits way up in the rear, and for a 3/4 ton I can understand that. I'm never going to load it like that again.

I wanted to ask what leaf springs people are using when they do the swap. Mine are 75 years old, they need to be replaced anyway. I don't want to just buy another set of stock ones, then take out leafs to get them down. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Is this a work truck, daily driver light loads, or a parade truck.......it all makes a difference. Edit, I see work truck is out, my bad. You could remove some leafs and relocate the pack under the axle for lowered ride height. Seeings you are not going to be loading heavy.

Edited by Frank Elder

Took my springs to a local shop. They seperated them, cleaned and removed 3 or 4 leaves. Reinstalled on the truck. New spring perches from a utility trailer manufacturer. New shackles. The pic is lowered rear stock front. Same process was done to front axle.

20190216_161055.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

49 B1  Here   Also  unhappy with Rear  springs especially the rear shackle.     Just bought  a Ranger  rear spring setup.  Thinking Ranger will be closest  truck  to the  Pilothouse in this size range.

Springs on Pilot House  are 26 in front  and 26 in to rear  so Ranger is  25 7/8 to front  31 in to rear.  Shackles Same length. Lots of real estate out back.

Major difference is spring depth on Ranger is 6 1/2  where  Pilot house is 7 1/2  So should set lower. 

Rear perch will fit nicely out back   Metal is pretty "holey"  so I will add plate to inside frame to stiffen this area.

Front perch is the  problem.    Need to add additional material to lower part of bracket and corresponding holes  as the upper portion of the Ranger perch needs to be cutoff.  So thinking  3/16 plate  approx. 7 1/2 x 6 in  and remove a "vee" section so the bracket fits close enough to weld and the modified bracket will fit flat on the side of the frame.

Grind out and remove existing  rivets on cross member.    Add Grade 8 bolts with locknuts and Loctite.   Remove  any additional interference to  new modified front ( or) Rear perches 

I'm hoping this  setup will give me   options for  the 2.5  std. springs,  I wouldn't have using the 1 3/4 in  original.  and a much stronger suspension to mount an 8.8 rear axle. 

Just started this project this week  so need to purchase some steel.  Just started the complete truck so it will be awhile before  it becomes road worthy.

Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Old Coot here     Regarding  the Ranger rear spring setup, I'm installing on the 49 1B1.   I added  additional steel to the  bottom of the forward spring  brackets, to keep the  alignment of the spring  eyes in the same location.   Rear  shackle brackets fit nicely to the new location, but the existing frame looked weak , due to the rear bumper mounting holes, so added reinforcement plates to the inside of the frame.   I'm installing a Ford  8.8  out of a Explorer, so removed all mounting brackets.  Ordered  all necessary Weld On spring perches, U bolts and Shock mounting  Brackets. 

It looks like I will have two issues with the change.   Even though I had planned on the change  of spring width  from 1.75 in  to 2.5 in. , I did not plan on the increased  depth of the Ranger brackets to the frame.  Still waiting on components to verify  dimensions, but first look says I will be very tight  to the brake mounting hardware on the rear of Disc brake housing. Also the u bolts will be  very close to where the 8.8 axle housing  starts "necking " down in size. Adding a welded stop block to keep the U bolts in position could  be required. 

2nd  Item (possibly more manageable)  is wheel clearance to spring.  I can add wheel spacers to alleviate this  problem or play with Wheel back spacing. 

So waiting  for  purchased components.  I'll  install and see what  needs to be modified and if It can be  done keeping safety in mind.