Clutch Inspection Cover Parts

Happy 46R

Looking for some expertise on my 46 Dodge D25C Club Coupe. I am in the process of replacing the clutch disc and noticed that the material at the back of the inspection cover is badly worn. My shop manual doesn't identify what the material is or a part number for it. I have checked Bernbaum and Rocket but neither show anything similar. Does anyone know what material this is or perhaps a part number for it? It looks like felt and is semi-circular and held in place by some bend over rivets. It won't hold up the return of my ride to the street but as I have everything apart now might as well replace it if I can.  Thank you.

Thank you for the input. I will chase down some material and do some before and after pictures if it works out. Appreciated.

• Like 1

So finished the project today. I was able to find some stiff felt but in thinner sheet so used a triple layer as suggested above. I also used the hand riveter as the little split pins that were original were heavy gauge steel and would not open up for removal or reuse. I just ground off the fold over tab and popped the material off of the cover. The remaining holes were correct size for the pop rivets and with the triple layer of felt the 1/2" long rivets were just right. Once in place I used the ball peen hammer on the anvil to flatten them out even though there was lots of room. First picture is what I started with followed by riveted new felt and then finally in place. Thanks for the input everyone, it made the job easier.

Old Felt.jpg

New Felt.jpg

In Place.jpg

• Like 3

Best I can tell is it collects any oil drips that could come along the outside of the pan from the front seal or even the oil filter cage??? I do not see any mechanical application and there does not appear to be any rotational wear on the old piece. Just my best guess.  Dave.

• Thanks 1