49 chrysler royal trunk questions

Jeff I indu

This was all left in the trunk by the previous deceased owner. The two upper right things are cut out of foam rubber. Not sure if they belong to the car or not. Two bumper Jack's. Not that I would ever use one but I assume one belongs to the original car and one doesn't. A old leather bag with a white cloth Interior? The Jack handle and a wheel chock. Original to the car?? Also there are 3 holes in the bottom of the wheel well. Is this correct or should I get some rubber grommets to seal them?  Also to the right side of the wheel well are two hooks. Maybe I am missing the hardware to attach/mount the bumper jack to these hooks? Cant imagine it would just lay flat and rattle around in the trunk. One of these days I will get a spare tire for the rim but it would only be for looks. If I ever get a flat it would be AAA to the rescue. Thanks for any input

Jeff

20210220_151144.jpg.8f3a249fea989d3c7f342291f49acec2.jpg

20210220_151430.jpg

20210220_150518.jpg

The jack in the middle looks original and the wheel chock looks original. The jack was supposed to be put between two hooks and jacked up until there was no play.  I have a 48 DeSoto and mine look the same.  The holes are for drainage if any water gets into the trunk.  If you are worried about exhaust coming into the trunk area from those holes, don't worry.  The tire on your spare covers those holes up well.  I know the Dodge D-24 came with a canvas tool kit, which was rolled up and tied with canvas belt.  It contained the tools shown in this illustration.  This illustrations shows the wheel chock as being a piece of lumber cut into a triangle, but they came made of metal also, like on my 48 DeSoto.  

48 desoto body 2.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

The jack in the middle looks original and the wheel chock looks original. The jack was supposed to be put between two hooks and jacked up until there was no play.  I have a 48 DeSoto and mine look the same.  The holes are for drainage if any water gets into the trunk.  If you are worried about exhaust coming into the trunk area from those holes, don't worry.  The tire on your spare covers those holes up well.  I know the Dodge D-24 came with a canvas tool kit, which was rolled up and tied with canvas belt.  It contained the tools shown in this illustration.  This illustrations shows the wheel chock as being a piece of lumber cut into a triangle, but they came made of metal also, like on my 48 DeSoto.  

48 desoto body 2.jpg

The “wrench” in that tool kit is pretty cool. Guy gave me a bucket of tools, a very similar wrench was there. Its now welded to my “custom” grille on the Fargo. 

23 hours ago, busycoupe said:

The lower jack in the original picture appears to have the foot on the wrong end of the post.

the jack looks correct to the base as seem by the jack body....however the hook is positioned upside down in my opinion...that particular hook is provisioned for front and rear bumper separate positions.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Thanks for the good info. The drainage holes in the wheel well puzzled me. After reviewing the two Jack's again I am not sure either is correct for this car. They are assembled correctly and both work. However the larger one has tabs that are bent over. I remember bumpers that had slots and you would insert the tabs on the jack into the slots to prevent movement. The other one just looks weird. Why the lip is upside down just doesnt look right. The bolt hole in the hook is at the top and it would not work if reversed20210221_113557.jpg.c42afbe651d3eded809c2f80dd930a38.jpgAlso neither one lines up with the hooks/hardware to the right of the wheel well. I assumed that they had something to do with holding the jack down. I may be missing some pieces needed, I don't know. But again, I don't like to use bumper jacks. I've had a car drop while trying to change a tire.  For this old car with very nice bumpers it will be AAA and a floor jack if ever needed

20210221_113117.jpg

I have to disagree about correct assembly...the hook on the jack on the right you recent posting of them....this hook detaches and the lip of the curved section fits under the bumper and the curve cradles the bumper.....the hook appears to have two hooking positions where one is for the front bumper and the other for the rear....

In my younger and poorer days, I used a bumper jack like the one pictured with the hook fitting for under the bumper to break down tire beads. I rounded the back of the heel so it would fit the contour of the rim and it worked pretty well. As far as using one to raise the car up to remove a wheel, I agree that these are not really that safe and for using one and getting underneath. NEVER.

John R

As I recall from previous discussions about jacks.....when the car was purchased new, the jack and lug wrench handle were contained in a cardboard box that simply laid in the trunk.  There is no built in hook for the jack......you just have to find someplace to secure it.   I think there is space enough for the jack to go behind the spare and the base can be tucked in beside the spare and secured to avoid rattles.  Maybe a previous owner had the vinyl or leather pouch made to contain the jack base, handle and tire chock. What was in it when you got the car?    As for those two L shaped rubber items with the V in one end.....I don't believe I have ever seen such a thing before.  Where were they being used?  Trouble with those original style jacks is -- they are rather sketchy if not on real level ground - car can lean enough to topple the jack sideways.  Also have to use that wheel chock and/or make sure the transmission is engaged.  On a fluid drive car, you don't have any braking value from the transmission.    I have an original style jack and also have been carrying one of those small floor jacks.  They are not quite large enough for some situations, but sometimes better than the original jack.   It occurs to me that today's Triple A tow truck driver may be so young he has never dealt with our type of car....and may or may not have just the right equipment.  Just like the Boy Scouts say...."Be Prepared".        

Edited by BobT-47P15

the shape pieces should be finish panel for the inner fender curve at the rear support below the package tray and seat back adjoining area.  In finishing my trunk with dress panels...I made similar looking pieces for the Plymouth....if they do not position properly there and as well they may not, investigate possible fit behind the spare tire and inner fender

Edited by Plymouthy Adams