Advice for possible purchase

TravisL17

Hey all. I'm looking at buying what is said to be a 51 Dodge truck. Here's the link to the ad.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2416407115332958/

I'm new to Pilot house trucks, so ANY advice would be appreciated. I've contacted the seller and he thinks it's a 4 speed and says there is no rust. I assume he doesn't know much about these trucks either. What type of questions should I be asking? Common issues to look for? It's about 6 hours from me, so if I go to look at it I will bring a trailer and cash. But I hate to make the trip for nothing if I don't ask the right questions and find out when I get there that it has more issues than either of us realized. Thanks in advance!

Price seems fair if it comes with clear title + key, if engine spins, no coolant in the oil or vice versa, no cracks in the block weeping coolant + rust, driveshaft splines @ yoke are still square edged, floorboard is solid, door bottoms are intact, and rolls easily...1-tons have the 6 lug lock ring rims, whereas 3/4 tons have 5 lug safety rims that can hold half-moon hub caps.

• Like 2

Looks like a solid truck

I agree with JB, I look for a free spinning motor, rusted thru door bottoms and floor boards..... 

I would imagine you’ll want to go through the brakes yourself 

Really doesn’t matter but, ever time I’ve seen the original “trumpet horn” replaced, the original engine has been swapped...... but, that is just my experience (I mention it as more of a bargain chip for you than a deal breaker ?)

For giggles, look the vin up on the register 

https://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

oh, probably is but, make sure your trailer is long enough for a 126” wb 

• Like 2

A lot of sellers dont know the history. Inherited it or bought it to restore and changed their mind. Have to be ready for a complete tear down and renew/repair and replace everything. Title is important,without it its just a parts donor. 
hundreds of hours,and lots of dollars. 

Looks really solid. "Close" to where I live, Ed sent me the link, but I don't need another 1 ton!   Rust, look for rust:  Doors, floorboards, cab corners, by the rivets on the fenders, bed head board.   Engine: as stated, spins, no cracks etc.  CLEAR title.   Been listed for a while.  Show up with a trailer and $2500 CASH and you'll maybe have to go to 3000 and you take this MN gem home.

• Like 1

All great insight, thanks! Thanks for the heads up of the WB and trailer length. I did notice the horns look different compared to what I've seen in other pictures. I've asked for a pics of the rust areas that you guys mentioned and also asked about title. I'm a mechanic by trade, so repairs and rebuilds don't bother me. However, rust repair and body work is my nemesis. I. HATE. IT.

My plan is to get it running and driving reliably and safely, leave the paint and body alone and drive it. Let it be what it is, a 70 year old truck! Really hoping to bring this thing home.

1 hour ago, Tooljunkie said:

A lot of sellers dont know the history. Inherited it or bought it to restore and changed their mind. Have to be ready for a complete tear down and renew/repair and replace everything. Title is important,without it its just a parts donor. 
hundreds of hours,and lots of dollars. 

Much easier to get a title these days than 20, 30 years ago......don’t let that stop you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I have only done it one time couple years ago.  was pretty painless here in Texas. Think it depends on the state you live in, the laws in place.

Do your homework, follow that states outline to receive title, bam title. If nothing else be patient and apply a mechanics lien to said vehicle.

I'm waiting to hear back from seller for some additional pics and if he has a title. I'm thinking a road trip next weekend may be in order to get this thing. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find out. Thank you all again for the input, I appreciate it!

39 minutes ago, 1949 Wraith said:

That truck looks pretty tidy inside as well. You are aware that it is probably a non syncro 4 speed.

I am not aware of that, but I'm ok with it as I have driven non syncro trucks before. Thanks for the heads up!

2 hours ago, TravisL17 said:

I'm waiting to hear back from seller for some additional pics and if he has a title. I'm thinking a road trip next weekend may be in order to get this thing. I'll keep you guys updated with what I find out. Thank you all again for the input, I appreciate it!

cool, if you are near Andover in your travels let me know, stop by or I can swing at some convenient spot  to look at it on your trailer!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

cool, if you are near Andover in your travels let me know, stop by or I can swing at some convenient spot  to look at it on your trailer!

I'm north of the metro a bit. Isanti would be the closest to Andover that I'd be traveling. If it works out, you're more than welcome to take a look at it!

15 hours ago, TravisL17 said:

I'm north of the metro a bit. Isanti would be the closest to Andover that I'd be traveling. If it works out, you're more than welcome to take a look at it!

Cool im just north of Andover.   Would love to try and meet up.  Isanti is 20 mins no prob for me to pop up.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 8:35 PM, ggdad1951 said:

Cool im just north of Andover.   Would love to try and meet up.  Isanti is 20 mins no prob for me to pop up.

ggdad1951, how wide is your 51 1 ton? I can't find any specs for dimensions. I'm tying to make sure it will fit on the trailer I'm going to use.

Disregard, I found a spec page that answers all my questions.

Edited by TravisL17
Found answer I was looking for