power up relay addition to a vehicle

Plymouthy Adams

I wanted to remove all the heavy current from the light duty ignition switch as I am adding more circuits and accessories to the car.  I decided to install a "Power up Relay"  off the accessory/run side and while I will not be using any 200 amps. total I did feel that 200 amp contacts would be nice buffer.  Look close at the picture, is it just me or does anyone else think it is silly to sell a 200 amp relay and then only supply connectors rated at 50A for the install......do they even take a second to see what they have combined in their package....sometimes I think I just expect a bit more realism.  But we are having fun if nothing else.

Image 21 - DC-12V-24V-Volt-200A-AMP-4Pin-Car-Auto-Starter-Relay-Heavy-Duty-SPST-Normal-Open

1 hour ago, oldodge41 said:

New math? Where 50A is actually 50 x A = 200. Simply solve for A and it can be whatever you need it to be. Marketing genius or cheap stupidity? Your call.

A = 4 seconds

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

So it's actually rated at 200 As (amp seconds)?

no...the ongoing joke is on the low current rated connectors supplied with the 200 amp rated relay...in reading the specs the only rating in time is that the contacts will last about 5ms with a 500A load....and with normal use last 10,000,000 operations at rate of 30 ops per minute.