Radiator Options

ChrisMinelli

I would have to guess that the majority of the contributors to this forum were not born yet when anti-freeze was alcohol based. I'm referring to the late '40's. Alcohol boils at 180.. Of course you could always rely on spring water in the radiator because spring water reputedly did not freeze, and/or you drained the radiator/block every night.
I have a '36 Ford coupe that I bought when I was a Junior in high school in 1952. The car has its original radiator that has never had anything but coolant or soluble oil/water in it, during the 69 years I have owned the car... I know, don't confuse me with facts. I have my mind made up.
Interestingly, almost the same thread is currently getting a lot of traffic over on the Ford Barn Forum.

Anyone using Evans Waterless?  My engine was rebuilt 20 plus years ago and that is the only antifreeze that has been used.  It is pricy however didn't change it until recently when the radiator was changed (was starting to get hairline cracks), at that time sent a sample to Evans and they did a chemical assay and indicated that it was still good.  Eliminates the concern of rust (was particularly concerned with the distribution tube).  It has a high boiling point so don't get boil overs.  Looked inside the head when changing the radiator, looked like the day it was assembled.  Don't have a baseline to compare the engine temp to, however Evans indicates this it normal for it to run a little hotter as more heat is being removed.  Works good for me.

Richard

The one problem that the Evans radiator fluid has is it is real thin compared to water or water/antifreeze mix and prone to leaking from anywhere the water goes. Must be OK for some as often used on race cars for heat and I understand that is also non toxic for animals/environment.  Maybe perfect for use in San Francisco? Leak issue aside.?

Chased many leaks all over a friends P-15 until I suggested a new alum 3 row core radiator from Champion  radiator ( only $20 more than the 2 row at the time)  and a 16" radiator fan to replace the two small fans that only covered the lower 1/3 of the radiator at best. Why the electrics? The previous owner had added the two small ones on the original radiator and had added the Evans fluid to stop summer time overheating. Also had a added thermostatic fan controller that was adjustable for temp..

After  rad. change/larger fan/ Evans replace with water/antifreeze/ used the thermostat to control temp./ remove some head studs, etc. and reseal, No more overheat /leaks and fan seldom even ran!  Over kill- yes, but ready for regular desert summer use. ?

Yes the motor was rebuilt and in great condition otherwise, a great driver!

DJ