Clutch Pedal Sticks on Floor

C3 Garagesc

Hey, a new guy here to theses vehicles.  I've an issue involving a 1953 Chrysler T&C Wagon with Fluid Drive transmission. After depressing the clutch pedal to put the car in gear, I have to use my foot to lift the clutch from off the floor.  Transmission engages fine and the car shifts fine and drives well.  Problem is having to physically return the clutch pedal after it is depressed.  Certainly appreciate any guidance, direction, or information on resolving this issue.

TIA,

Bill

1 minute ago, C3 Garagesc said:

After I get it up a little over halfway.

I would have thought that it would pop up before that if it is the over-center linkage, but I might be wrong on that.  Assuming that there isn't any part of the floor mat that is rubbing on the pedal shaft.  But the return spring would exert more force at half way up that it does at the bottom of the stroke, so maybe a combination of this, plus old grease in the bushing?

1 minute ago, C3 Garagesc said:

Do you know where might I find a diagram of the overcenter spring and the adjustment for it?

I only have repair manuals for the Plymouth, although I believe that it is the same basic design.  (My car is a 46, and I know the design changed to some degree, but I'm not sure how much.)  You can check in the Downloads tab - there might be a Repair Manual for your vehicle in there - scanned & submitted by forum members.

In 1969, as a 20 yr. old commuting to college in a 1950 Plymouth , had a brake pedal that wouldn't come up after it was released.  Had to pull the pedal up  with the toe of my right foot.  Overhauled brake cylinders and replaced all brake return springs.  No change.  Went to attack the master cylinder and noticed rust dust coming from the shaft that the brake pedal pivoted on.  Hit the lube fitting with a couple pumps from a hand held grease gun. Problem solved. Regards

Thanks for the replies.  I believe I got all the fittings greased at the last oil change, but certainly could have missed something in that area, as I don't think you tend to consider "greasing the clutch".?

My plan is to first make the Over-Center Spring tool in order to check that measurement.  Will be checking the lube fittings then , as well.

Thanks, again!

Bill