Gettin’ Close

Jim Shepard

Mocked up the T5 and the bell housing I got from Tim. Fits perfectly. The adapter kit (pilot bushing, input shaft retainer sleeve and collar) is from Vintage Metal out of Atwater, Ohio. A guy named Dave Farwell. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Does good work, too. Anyway, it won’t be long. Should have it ready for the BBQ. Thanks Tim.

• Like 1

Is that the truck with a older Hemi getting the T-5?

DJ

• 1 month later...

Ok, I’m almost there. Got the tranny and bell housing back from the machine shop (Hansen’s in Sacramento). They did a great job. Got it all hooked up last Friday and today I started it and ran through the gears. No grinding, do I guess that’s a plus. The drive shaft is at the shop and I’ll get it back by the end of the week. Need to bleed the brakes and it’ll be ready for a test drive. I installed a electric fuel pump with a canister filter and pressure regulator. So far no leaks. Here’s a couple of photos. I don’t like the S10 shift stick but it’ll do for now. It looks a little too European for my taste. I’ll fab something a little more truck-like later.

74CC6CE3-BFE1-46C5-830D-1F5E80267237.jpeg

• Like 5

On 2/16/2021 at 2:17 PM, Jim Shepard said:

Mocked up the T5 and the bell housing I got from Tim. Fits perfectly. The adapter kit (pilot bushing, input shaft retainer sleeve and collar) is from Vintage Metal out of Atwater, Ohio. A guy named Dave Farwell. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Does good work, too. Anyway, it won’t be long. Should have it ready for the BBQ. Thanks Tim.

Jim 

Did you take any photos of the adapter kit and the machine work? Curious to see how it all went together.

Unfortunately, I did not take any photos of the finished work. The four new holes were drilled out in the four "winged" areas. A Ford T5 would have a bolt pattern much closer to the MOPAR. Here's photo of the T5 sitting on the bell housing after the machining. 

IMG_4344.jpeg

Did you find a donor driveshaft or are you getting one made? Supposedly 83-85 v8 auto mustangs are the right length but those things are all soup cans up here

Ok, got it all done today. Yesterday was ‘D’ day but I couldn’t get it to go into gear while running and on the ground. It did fine while still up on jack stands. Today I hit it again and, with some advise from John T and Charlie C, I got it going. OMG - what fun. I should have done this 20 years ago, or at least 10. 1st is a little low and it doesn’t stay around long (10-12 mph), but after that its a blast. As today as the maiden voyage I didn’t want to wind it too much. A comfortable shift point is about 2,000 rpm and that’s 45 mph in 4th gear. I only did 1500 rpm’s in OD because of road conditions (mostly speed limit) and that got me 50 mph. I’ve still got the stock 4.10:1 rearend and 29” tires. With a red line of 3200 rpm (according to the factory manual) I should be able to do 60-65 and stay out of everyone’s way. Now on the Tim’s!

• Like 6

Took the truck out today for about a 50 mile drive. Everything worked great. I see where the gear set is a little low. By the time I get into third gear I’m still only doing about 35 mph. Fourth is 1:1 so it’s the same as it was before - top speed of about 50. In OD I’m cruising at 55 and only 1600 rpm’s. Comfortable rpm is about 2000 so I still had a ways to go. The problem is that at above 55 it starts to shimmy. Who knew - I’ve never gone that fast before. Looks like I need a trip to the alignment shop...

6 hours ago, Jim Shepard said:

Took the truck out today for about a 50 mile drive. Everything worked great. I see where the gear set is a little low. By the time I get into third gear I’m still only doing about 35 mph. Fourth is 1:1 so it’s the same as it was before - top speed of about 50. In OD I’m cruising at 55 and only 1600 rpm’s. Comfortable rpm is about 2000 so I still had a ways to go. The problem is that at above 55 it starts to shimmy. Who knew - I’ve never gone that fast before. Looks like I need a trip to the alignment shop...

and people laughed at me and FEF going 60!  :P

Interesting. Mine has a 4 speed fluid drive. It would have been miserable though with the 4.10 rear end. Luckily I figured that out while I had mine apart. I put a 3.55 Grand Cherokee rear end in it and that has worked out well. It can cruise at 70 no problem. But the truck feels best when moving a bit slower. It doesn't shimmy but I don't think the "aerodynamics" work that well above 65. ?

Have fun with your truck. They are awesome when set up correctly!

Jeff

• Like 1