Simple S10 T5 to '36 bellhousing swap with all off-the shelf parts and minimal machining.

MoparMontana

I've been researching this for months and finally started fabrication/assembly today. The goal was all off-the-shelf parts, minimal machining and no expensive adapters. I'll provide a parts list and instructions once complete.

T5 swap (2).jpg

• Like 2

T5 swap (1).jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Nicely done, could the same be done for a AX-15 out of a Dakota?

I am not familiar with that transmission. You would have to measure the length of the input shaft, the diameter of the bearing retainer, etc, as well as the ID of the bellhousing. The simple answer is that anything is possible, it's just a matter of the ease of compatibility. 

1 hour ago, MoparMontana said:

I am not familiar with that transmission. You would have to measure the length of the input shaft, the diameter of the bearing retainer, etc, as well as the ID of the bellhousing. The simple answer is that anything is possible, it's just a matter of the ease of compatibility. 

Right on thank you for your answer.

11 minutes ago, derbydad276 said:

is this the build you did on the roadster that ran in Europe ?

No, this is going in a new build for myself, a '29 DeSoto roadster.

bonnie desoto.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Love it!!..........rubber rake and extra carbs............nice.......andyd

Thanks. I'm excited to get it back on the road for the first time since 1954.

Yesterday, I surfaced the vintage Weber aluminum flywheel, shortened the front bearing retainer, located the transmission ears on the bellhousing, and pilot drilled it to drill and tap for 7/16" studs. I used a Chevy S10 case so I could get by without the adapter plate necessary for a Ford case. As you can see, it all stacks up nicely. It appears an A833 throw-out bearing retainer has the correct height, but I'll have to make a sleeve to adapt to the T5 bearing retainer OD. I'll post all of the part numbers once I am confident it works. As many have pointed out, the S10 trannys have less than ideal ratios, so I bought an Camaro set off eBay last night after doing a lot of research with the help of Tim Kingsbury.

T5 swap (5).jpg

Edited by MoparMontana

I've got a big flat bastard file......would that work......lol..........whilst I don't have a mopar six now nor an S10 gearbox I'm interested in this type of work purely for the increase in knowledge that it gives..........the S10 type of T5 was never used in Oz so I imported one from California and intended to chase up an adaptor as that was the way it seemed to be done 12-15 yrs ago.........andyd  

• Like 2

Dang, you guys are a tough crowd! I'm pretty sure that all of you have a machine shop in the vicinity that could knock out machining the parts cheaply if given the specs.

22 minutes ago, MoparMontana said:

I'm pretty sure that all of you have a competent machine shop in the vicinity

Clarified that for you.  I am picky about the work I hire out and unfortunately, there a number of things I don't know how to do well enough to trust my work.

14 minutes ago, MoparMontana said:

Dang, you guys are a tough crowd! I'm pretty sure that all of you have a machine shop in the vicinity that could knock out machining the parts cheaply if given the specs.

To some cheaply is quite relative to their location, long relation with a machine shop , and their own finances.

I knew a local machine shop owner from where I worked but even with that as a favor he would do anything at all past a look for less than $40 minimum. Small $$ but that was

for drilling 4 small, and threading holes accurately. That was his favor. Most do nothing for less than $100.

I understand a experienced machinist employee does not come cheap, not the machines, maintenance of a place, rents, etc. But what is cheap?

No offense but while I certainly do appreciate your info's and what you do for the Mopar brand. Not being a downer I hope ,but?

DJ

I also appreciate the work you are doing!  The T5 is a much better option than the 833 OD and I currently own a Slant 6 - 833 OD pick up combo and previously owned an S10 - T5 combo.  T5 is the way to go if given the choice.  In fact, if the 833 gives up (slightly noisy) a T5 will replace it.