Electric wiper boost.

Frank Elder

I wouldn’t expect your wipers would draw enough current to need a relay. Headlights use them so the full draw of the current to operate the lights doesn’t need to go through the dash switch. 

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/133.cfm

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Them electric wipers benefit from cleaning out the gearbox and refilling with JD corn head grease, as well as replacing the leads with new wiring...both repairs greatly reduce the electric motor resistance, which can really pep up the wiper action ?

• Thanks 1

If this is a period piece and it is 12 volt, it may be as simple as cleaning and lubing the gears in the mechanical drive. A dirty electrical motor may also be dragging it down which is common in these old wiper drives. Inspect and  clean armature and commutator and check end play. Use isopropyl alcohol and a small brush or qtip to clean above as well as the brushes and any internal switches. This should give the wipers a little more pep ! Hope this helps you out man. All the Best, M

PS did you test your wiper speed by disconnecting wires from switch and powering the motor from a direct 12 volts using a good heavy test lead?

Edited by Marcel Backs
more info added
  • Thanks 1

majority of drag issues in motor are related to rear bushing wear...or if not wear, will relate to being dry of lubrication and will need attention and if not soon attended to will accelerate the wear and prove then needing replacement and lube...this applies also to points of mechanical beyond the motor in bushings on the linkage and the towers of the wiper stems....many Mopar wiper stalks have screws that you remove so lube may be applied....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

my wiper pivot caps have a small screw you remove to oil the outside end of the mechanism. PA got it! I had a pivot cover missing on my D14 6v electrical wiper set up...try finding one of those. I think it's the hardest part to find for a 40 mountain goat. I ended up getting a pair machined and will post pix. As Plymouthy said bushings wear and lube are a must check. Also check for binding at link points and make sure you have felt isolator washers at pivot points. You will have your wipers able to handle Canadian rain storms and it might be a good bet considering the wacked out weather in the south!