Covid

pflaming

Got positive tested covid in the family. Appears to be a mild, fatigue case. Doing all we can to keep things sanitized and not let it spread.

our son has been fully isolated so, we may have a chance.

how are others faring? 

We have personally escaped so far, but my wife's father passed away from complications due to the virus (it developed into pneumonia), and her brother was in the hospital & on oxygen for 5 days after that.  Her dad passed away a week after our youngest son was diagnosed with Acute Leukemia, so we were with him at the Cleveland Clinic when he was taken to the hospital.  (He died the same day.)  That was in the middle of September, and our son's treatments are expected to go on until mid to end of May.  So we have been as careful as possible, going out only when necessary, wearing masks when ever in public, etc.  (We have missed church services since then, too.  I really miss the Sunday School class discussions especially.)

We are now scheduled for the first vaccine - some mixed feeling about it, as I have seldom gotten the yearly flu shots, but this time it is more about our son than it is about us.  (His doctor said that if he gets it, he would be hospitalized immediately, and that they might stop the leukemia treatments.  It is a very treatable type of leukemia, but if left totally untreated life expectancy is generally about one month.)

People here in "Amish Country" have not been very careful with precautions for the virus.  Too many conspiracy theories going around, I guess.  Lots of deaths, too.  Several in our congregation itself, and more of member's parents or other family members, most of whom are Amish.

No one in the immediate household has had it, but I know several friends and family that have had it. Results range from mild to death. It seems that most I know report mild symptoms, some slightly more severe, and just a couple with extreme hospitalization, vent, etc.... I just had an Aunt and Uncle pass within 2 days of each other just after Christmas from it. 

My GF Tamisha works at the local health department and has had both of her vaccination shots. She helps organize drive through testing and vaccination clinics. My sister has also had both of her shots - she is a nurse practitioner working with cancer patients. 

Sympathies to anyone who's been affected and lost family or friends.

Been good here so far. My job is considered essential so I haven't been off work and I don't go much of anywhere else. My wife retired in May because of her employer's lax attitude toward the virus. I considered retiring but my health is good and I'm as careful as possible and the company has taken this seriously from the outset with extra paid leave for sickness and quarantine. 

No cases yet here in our house, nor our extended family members. We are faring pretty well up here.

As I talk to people I am hearing more comments that's  it's only a matter of time before we all eventually get it. It's been a year now.  The shock and awe of it all, and locking ourselves inside away from our family and friends is wearing thin. Folks are getting sick and tired. I suspect average everyday people's attitudes are slowly edging toward the "I don't care anymore".  Our government and policing of health rules continues to try and keep us inside and isolated.  More and more, people are pushing back it seems. Yet, as mentioned, the number of cases here has been low. All the actions we've taken seem to be helping minimize the spread of Covid.

Today the vaccine is out, yet Canada is struggling to maintain a steady supply chain. The thought of having everyone in Canada vaccinated by Sept seems to be materializing into a pipe dream up here.  It appears that 2021 in Canada will be another year of no car shows, swap meets or any other car related gatherings. It's tough pill to swallow sometimes.  When I think back about the last year, it's like a black hole void in time. A year lost with few fond memorable events. A period of our short time on this planet, where we lost the time to really happily live and enjoy life. We existed. Happy to be alive yes. But living life to the fullest? I'd not say we certainly were not able to do that in 2020/21.

I get it. We need to do our part to control the spread. We are fortunate, those  who have recovered, or not been infected. Covid times can't end soon enough. My sympathies to those who have lost loved ones to this disease.

Edited by keithb7

Northern Maine kinda dodged the bullet during the first round, but everyone seems to have noticed and came to Aroostook County over the summer, bringing it with them, so this last round has hit us hard, especially nursing homes.  My Mom (deep south Texas) contracted it over the summer, no symptoms.  She contracted it through contact with known carriers.  My Uncle (Dad's side, southern Illinois) contracted it about the same time.  He takes all precautions, and they never figured out where he contracted it.  He has heart problems so they hospitalized him just in case, but he never showed any symptoms, and they kicked him out of the hospital after two days to keep the nurses sane.  The wife and I take care of her mom, who is a very frail 94, so we take all precautions as well.  Biggest impact to me has been as the Exalted Ruler of our Elks Lodge, having to cancel most of our popular charitable events and Lodge activities, while still devising ways to safely contribute to the community.    

No one in our family(Me, Wife, Offspring, grandkids) have had any problems. I suspect if either me or my wife gets it we are in big trouble.  My Dr. had it(fairly tough case I hear) and I know a couple other medical folks also have had it. No deaths known personally or long haulers.  I get first shot Wednesday, going to fight with Hospital over wife not being invited to get one. Almost my age(over 65) and has more health issues that  me.  We mostly stay home, wife goes to work in a three person place and they mostly work alone and away from each other. i have enough other problems to side line me right now that all I can do is stay home and sit until I get stuff resolved.  Drives my wife crazy not to get to go to restaurants but I don't miss it at all. Get to see two of three Children(son lives far away) and all three grandsons fairly regularly so not an issue there. 

I hope for all of you and yours either not to get it(best) or if you do have a very mild case. 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Sadly my dad passed away last week from covid. A vet of both WW2 and Korea he was in pretty good health for being 99 years old. One of his caregivers got infected and brought it in. Worse part was I'm in California and he was in North Carolina. He will be missed. 

• Sad 2

Very sorry to hear you lost your dad.

99 is a long life. My dad was 99 also when he died two years ago and was a WWII veteran also but in the Royal Army. 99 is a grand age but it is still hard to lose a parent. 

My thoughts are with you as you deal with your loss. 

Edited by RobertKB

Out here in So. Cal. Wife and I went though it ok last April. My daughter and son in law in Minn. went through it. A Dozen maybe across the country I know of. Everyone made it though it. Neither my wife or I ever had a fever. Wife’s started with a real bad back ache. She had a few rough days where I was really worried. I’ve got asthma not bad but suffered the breathing issues. Everyone else’s cases were mild. Thank god.

We've been fortunate so far.  My wife contracted it somewhere but does not have any idea where.  The interesting part is that she developed a "bad cold" that lasted three weeks several months ago.  She underwent testing just recently and it was determined that she had had it somewhere along the line so maybe the "bad cold" was all there was to the deal.

I got my first inoculation at a VA outreach clinic in Warrensburg, MO, t wo weeks ago.  Those folks know how to run and assembly line!  All in all, I was in the building 21 minutes and that included the mandatory 15 minute wait.   Two more weeks for the second one.

To those of you whom have lost loved ones, I am truly sorry for your losses.  I am way too old to have living parents but I do remember those losses.  

I too wish to extend my thoughts and prayers who have lost loved ones, or their livelihood, to COVID.  My family has been very blessed - nobody has contracted it, and my office has been able to keep everyone safely employed even during the quarantine periods.  Losing out on old car activities (save for solo wrenching out in the garage), and losing even the little things like meeting up with the "Old Car Guys" once a month for breakfast  is a drag, but my cohort is in that demographic that can be gobsmacked by this virus.  If we all are careful, hopefully we'll get much of the social interaction we have been missing back this summer - there are parts to be trolling for at flea markets!

On the plus side, it knocked 45 minutes off my commute into Boston...

Update: our son is now definitely on the upward line, has been down, mostly fatuous for 12 days now. Yesterday his son, age 16 tested positive, so we try to live very carefully. My wife and I tested negative, I was more negative than she. 

• Like 1

I'm in my 37th year of Healthcare. I'm a Radiologic Technologist (X-Rays).

I've been on Graveyard for the last 22 years by choice.

I started the job when a new disease was crushing the local Hospitals. It was called AIDS.

To this day we still follow protocols that reference what we learned in the 1980's. 

Now, with retirement on the horizon.....I might finish with my career dealing with COVID19.

We already see changes at the Hospitals that will be in use for many years to come.

I lost my Father in law to COVID, two of my children have been infected and recovered.....

48D

Been working 2 jobs since 1981...one has always been retail and for the past 20 years my second job has been Home Depot...never lost a day of work as we are considered "essential" workers...found out a week back one of our cashiers died from it...our store manager came down with it on Christmas day...my wife took early retirement from her teaching job because of all the stress involved from it...

With less than 2 years before I can leave the county job...time is getting close...hoping and praying we make it to that point...COVID is not a fun deal at all...I still see people in the store where I work part time with no mask on...drives me crazy...

MikeC

On 2/23/2021 at 10:14 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

ok...looking for clarification.....what county operation could you refer to as a  "retail store"  

Not sure but I guess my typing did not make any sense...I work at a local county as a DPW employee (in the office)...as a full time job...my second job is in retail at the local Home Depot Store...

Does this make sense now?

• Thanks 1

So far, so good in my life.  I know about 40 or so people directly that have had it.  I've been exposed, but to my knowledge have not had it.  I directly don't know anyone who has died from it.  Several degrees out, there are several.  I work from home, play on my trucks and get bored.  My wife is a nurse and has to do ALL the PPE everyday and it is starting to take a toll on her health, mentally and physically.  We play it careful/smart, but do not hide in our holes as some are.  As pointed out above, this IS not going away and at SOME point you will be exposed or get this stuff.  It is now ENDEMIC in our world, and will be with us forever.  Vaccines are a short term "solution" as the virus mutates faster than we can keep up with and with multiple strains floating around.  I DO know here in Minnesota the mortality has been predominantly in the older generations and especially in care homes for them.  I won't get into the politics of why MN didn't protect the most vulnerable as we should have, but the facts are there.  We will move on one way or the other.  Humans aren't meant to live under a rock (or Ferd as it may be) and we will move on to life again.

My sympathies to any who have lost someone they care for.

1 hour ago, Mikec4193 said:

Not sure but I guess my typing did not make any sense...I work at a local county as a DPW employee (in the office)...as a full time job...my second job is in retail at the local Home Depot Store...

Does this make sense now?

It does.....thanks....

Well the Fire Dept ambulance just took my next door neighbor to the hospital with covid. She is 80 and has the usual issues that can affect it. Her daughter caught it with no symptoms but loss of taste(she’s mid 40’s). Although her Father who is 81 got his vaccine shots her Mom refused preferring to rely on Prayer. Sure hope she comes out ok as I do for all the rest of you who are dealing with it.  

• Like 1

“The virus does not recognize prayer.”  Or maybe it DOES I the form of meds. I recall that one blind man was told to wash his face in the river., FFT. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pflaming said:

“The virus does not recognize prayer.”  Or maybe it DOES I the form of meds. I recall that one blind man was told to wash his face in the river., FFT. 

Reminds me of the old story about the man and the flood. A man was trapped on the roof of his house in a flood. He prayed to God for help. Shortly afterwards a boat pulled up. Get on they said. No he replied, God will save me. As the water rose a helicopter flew overhead, we'll lower you a rope. No said the man, God will save me. They flew away. The water now covered everything but the chimney. Another boat came. Get on before it's too late. The man said no, God will save me. He drowned. As he stood before God he asked God why he abandoned him.  God looked at him and said" I sent two boats and a helicopter"  The moral is, you also gotta help yourself.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my first shot today. Appointment was at 2, arrived at 1:55. They had an army of volunteers directing cars, checking people in and getting shots. Hundreds of cars moving through the parking lot at any given moment.  Didn't even have to get out of the car.  I was finished and pulling out of the parking lot at 2:15. 

• Like 3