Did I just spot my 1938 Plymouth in a 1942 Film?

keithb7

Maybe...I know it's highly unlikely. Yet it's fun to think so.

See pic below. I think I can see the round logo on the trunk hatch. The Plymouth ship in chrome, on the trunk. Only used in 1938 if I recall. I can see two chrome trunk hinges. The double split-pane rear window looks right. My P6 car was delivered new to Victoria BC 1938. An adjacent city is Vancouver BC where the old film was taken in 1942.  Unfortunately Victoria is on Vancouver Island. There was no ferry vehicle service between the island and the mainland in 1942. Vancouver BC is on the mainland. So I doubt my P6 ever saw the streets of Vancouver.

9,050 or so Canadian made P6 Plymouths left the factory located in Windsor Ontario in 1938. I suspect many were shipped to British Commonwealth countries around the world. South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, India. To name a few. My understanding Chrysler were able to avoid excessive trade tariffs this way. Right across the bridge from Detroit USA, in Windsor Canada, the assembly line employees from each location may have been able to see each building.  At least the smoke from the exhaust stacks of the steel foundries, where the blocks were cast in each country. 

Some of these cars were headed to countries that required RH steering. If you look at the P6 dash you can see the symmetrical design between the passenger side and the driver's side. The gauges sat in the middle of the dash. Therefore it was easier and more efficient for the factory to build either RH or LH drive cars. A dash photo is shown.  The duct tape is gone and a new hand crafted latch/knob was installed. Made from a stainless steel bolt.

That was a fun few minutes to pass an otherwise frigid winter day up here. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 1.19.24 PM.png

IMG_5859 (1).jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

There had to be ferrys running back and forth between there and the mainland,so why would you think you car wasn't there?

BTW,very pretty car!

• Like 1

Actually more likely than not that you spotted your car.  Looks like it to me.  We tend to have a keener eye than the average person when it comes to spotting our cars.  I get a kick out of "casually observing" and spotting D24s and 37 Terraplanes in various media, especially old movies.  The Beetle is a little too easy, tho.  Even though a 70 Beetle has a one year only styling feature, it can be pretty hard to spot, otherwise they're all over the place...like cockroaches.  The scarce one is the Terraplane.  There's an old thread herein where members were reporting their P15-D24 sightings for a while.

• Like 1

Interesting thread..........I don't expect to see my Oz 1940 Dodge in any US/Canadian films but I've yet to see any 1940 Dodges in any pics in newspapers or local adverts from local dealers, Oz films{yep we DID make them) or early TV shows(Oz got TV in 1956)......I bought my car in September 1971 and including the 1940 Dodge Coupe that I'd bought in 1970 these were the only 2 1940 Dodges I'd seen, however over the next 5 or 6 years I bought another three 1940 Dodge sedans for parts and an Ambulance which had been an original conversion from a 1940 Dodge 4dr sedan, it still had both doors on the Oz passenger side but only the Oz drivers door, the back drivers side door had been replaced with a recess holding the spare wheel & tyre and had aan extended back with a pair of bar style rear doors ..........unfortunately it was located nearly 1000kms from my home without any front suspension so getting it home proved to be impossible at the time, I'd only paid the standard Oz 1940 Dodge purchase price of $15 in 1975 so it wasn't that big of a loss.........lol.......apart from another 1940 Dodge sedan I bought for $100 in 1980(inflation had taken hold) all the 1940 Dodge Sedans including the 1st one which I still have, were $15 each.............I have been doing voluntary work at the Clarence River Historical Society's Museum at Schaeffer House and have also cheched thru the 1940 newspapers and no advert for 1940 Dodges has been found.....................but I do have both an Oz 1940 Dodge and 1940 Plymouth Sales Brochure, each or 8 pages..........and I've yet to see a 1940 Dodge in any US movie.............lol.............andyd