Mystery part ID help please

Conn47D24

I kinda,vaguely,sorta think I remember seeing these or something similar on exhaust manifolds a long,long time ago. I THINK they screwed onto studs,and then the "ears" folded over the nut holding the stud in to lock it in place.

If I were you,I  wouldn't bet any money on it,though.

• Haha 2

Just guessing here.......looks like bolt position holder type of cap. May not fold around either. Might just clip over adjacent part to stop a loose  bolt at a required point. A nut would be like a slotted castle nut with cotter pin etc. So what sort of bolt needs to be held in a certain position but not perhaps tight.....? Maybe on the handbrake mechanism.....? Nothing like this part on my car but this is a decade later....  of course it may be a rogue bit that doesn't go with the car at all.

Not much help here Clay but hopefully started the ball rolling. ?

Do you have a factory Parts Manual for your car?       Any idea or guesses what the item may be called so you can try to

locate one in that manual parts list in the back?       Or---look at the exploded drawings of parts you suspect the fastener could go to....see if

you can spot one.        

• Like 1

I will take a peek at my DeSoto today. I think also it could be part of the throttle linkage . It’s been a bugging me since I saw the pic .

• Thanks 1

I have never seen a clip like that on any 1946-52 MoPar car/ truck or in a parts list photo.

I agree as to being a linkage clip.

Maybe for a Frasier.?

• Thanks 1

It’s not on any part of the throttle linkage on my 47 DeSoto.  Took a quick look around the engine bay and transmission linkage and didn’t see it anywhere there neither. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Conn47D24 said:

Thanks all.

Weird how I have it packed away with my hardware.

Only project car I've had, and PO was no gearhead.

The 40 years since tear down comes back to bite once again!

Add it to the list of mysteries .

One thing is certain,and that it is not a linkage clip. Every linkage clip I have ever seen is a straight line piece that clips over the throttle linkage and over the carb linkage. Never seen one with a nut. The nut would prevent the linkage from moving.

• Like 1

A lot of guesses but no correct answers.

I'll add another wild ass guess to it.....I don't think it's MoPar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

A lot of guesses but no correct answers.

I'll add another wild ass guess to it.....I don't think it's MoPar.

I don't either,even though it may have been on a Mopar. I think it is one of those "universal" little parts all the manufacturers used at one time or another.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is a tree that fell in the forest and as no one knew of this tree....it therefore made no noise....

Or more likely an unneccessary part that got tossed instead of put back on the car the first time the cars were worked on.

• Like 1