Starter electrical question

Bern Pearson

While converting my 1948 Plymouth special delux to 12 volts discovered that the only electrical connection on the starter, the lug that goes from the starter to the starter relay, located on the fender well, was grounded to the rest of the engine, and metal on the car.  It turns out the lug has some play in it and can intermittently ground or not depending on its wiggle.

This car has no starter solenoid.  It is a push button start with a starter relay that has one connection to the battery and another to the starter lug in question.  A smaller wire goes to the starter button.

The similar lug on my 1848 Packard engine starter and my '56 Studebaker also read grounded.

I was going to rebuild the starter on the Plymouth, but am wondering if it's necessary.

Should the single electrical connection, the lug on the starter read as ground, or do I need to rebuild the starter?

Thank you;.

when connected to the starter and the solenoid post, if your starter brushes are good then yes they will read to ground as the starter itself is grounded and needs be if it is expected to operate...a sensitive meter only will discriminate the low resistance of the windings....you need to read a bit more in the manual for proper testing of the circuits, wiring and such to prove you system does or does not have issues.  Further, as you stated also suspect connections....do a voltage drop test, in truth only this can rule out a bad cable internally from a bad connection and or both can be an issue, but once detected by voltage drop and cleaning and tightening does not better the reading...then cable internally can be bad.   The solenoid is but a high current transfer switch when energized by applying voltage to the smaller wire to activate solenoid...these internal contacts also can cause drops in voltage.  Repeat your test and follow a step by step so to do thing in correct order.