1939 Dodge Truck Engine Identification

wice

I have an engine that I thought I had identified as a 218, 6 cylinder flathead.  It is 25 inches long.  The engine identification is T74-1907.  I had come across some information indicating that a 218 is 23 inches long.  Could anyone give me any information based on the engine identification number or lead me to a site that will give me the information.

T74 refers to a 1939 dodge truck engine and would be correct for your TE32 but it doesn't indicate cubic inches.  You should be able to check the stroke on # 6 cyl via the small plug on the head which may give you a clue.  A TE32 would indicate a bigger truck, larger than a 1 ton at least, so it may be larger than a 218.

There were some 1 ton trucks made in Canada in '38-39 designated TE22 with 160 inch wheel base that probably would have had the Canadian 25 inch 218 engine.

The 218CI displacement was arrived at in both the 23 and 25" engines.  Just a coincidental calculation of bore and strokes.  So, your 25incher could be a 218, same as my '50 Plymouth 23incher. 

I have heard the long block version called a 217 to differentiate it.

I found information in the supplement for the 1939 TE32 truck that stated the TE32 had a bore of 3-3/8 and a stroke of 4-1/16.  Piston Displacement of 218.06 cubic inch.  AMA HP Rating of 27.34.  I do not have a micrometer but I do have calipers so I measured the ridge at the top of the cylinder and it looks like 3-3/8.  The stroke is 4-1/16 so I would say that it is a 218 engine.  Thank you all for responding.