Oil dilution

PareosWC

Dodge 230- I can smell fuel in both my crankcase breather, and the dipstick, but my oil level does not seem to be rising.  I understand that a faulty fuel pump can allow fuel to seep into the pan, but I believe my issue only started a week ago when the Dodge wouldn't start.  I replaced the condenser, and all is well, but that's not my question.

If you turn the motor over and over, etc. without fire, are you not simply dumping raw fuel into the motor just as easily as a faulty fuel pump?  I attempted about a dozen false starts before I found the condenser issue.  I'm attempting to see why that fuel smell is there?  And does a fuel smell automatically mean to dump it and do a fresh oil change?

-OB

54 minutes ago, PareosWC said:

Dodge 230- I can smell fuel in both my crankcase breather, and the dipstick, but my oil level does not seem to be rising.  I understand that a faulty fuel pump can allow fuel to seep into the pan, but I believe my issue only started a week ago when the Dodge wouldn't start.  I replaced the condenser, and all is well, but that's not my question.

If you turn the motor over and over, etc. without fire, are you not simply dumping raw fuel into the motor just as easily as a faulty fuel pump?  I attempted about a dozen false starts before I found the condenser issue.  I'm attempting to see why that fuel smell is there?  And does a fuel smell automatically mean to dump it and do a fresh oil change?

putt

-OBIf

Yes,unless you like the idea of spun bearings and having your crank turned and turned appeals to you.

You also don't want to deal with the problem of a crankcase full of gas dissolving decades of non-detergent oil crud,and releasing it to flow through your oil system until it blocks oil flow.

Costs practially nothing to change oil now and then see if the problem re-occurs,and can cost a considerable amount if you don't.

It's called fuel wash when you crank and crank the engine over without it firing up.  It essentially washes the oil off the cylinder walls and rings.  It is said to have the potential to cause added wear.  But I think that might be more in the case of a fresh rebuild with rings that are not broken in yet.  But it doesn't help even with broken in rings so an oil change is a good idea.

After draining the oil and verifying that your FP is working or not and replace if not I would add anelectric FP at the back of the car near the gas tank to help prime the carb after the cas been sitting for a while.

Yes even if you had the electric pump as a primer pump and the mechanical pump was faulty there is still the possibility of gas getting included with the oil in the oil pan.

But the electric pump is a backup for staring and priming when the car has sat for a period of time.

Rich Hartung